Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Climbing
Lens: SMC A 35-105/3.5 Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F5.6 

Would like input/perspective on these. Which shot works the best for you? What would you have done differently?

They are as they came out of the camera. I noticed that my shutter speed was 1/30th on the lower shots and sped up slightly to 1/45th on the two where he was closest (Av Mode). This is too slow and I wish I had shot at f4 or ISO800 instead. I usually shoot in this situation in Tav mode, not sure why I wasn't doing that this weekend. Manual focus zoom at 35mm.

I like the series, my boy wasn't going to do it twice for me, so I had one shot. I'd like to hear about what you see, though and what you would do either with these or next time. Thanks in advance for your comments and advice.

07-08-2014, 04:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
2,3,4 the frame within in the frame, puts the emphasis on your son, 1 and 5 the climbing hoops distract slightly. The series as a group also works well, but to me 2,3,and 4 make a photo in there own right.Good job.
07-08-2014, 04:27 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's a fine family memory. You might be able to put them together to form a collage for presentation.

A couple of ideas or suggestions:
1. It's a pity he doesn't smile. Think about what you could do to elicit a grin esp. on the final shot.
2. Use an extreme lens like a fish eye and get down there with him. The curved monkey frame would look good on a fish eye shot. And you would get a workout yourself, and perhaps ding your camera :-)

Regards,
--Anders.
07-08-2014, 08:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments and advice, guys. I like the fisheye idea. Maybe I'll get a redo, though 18mm is as wide as I have for digital or 24mm on film.

Anders, smiling is for amateurs. Climbing is serious business!