Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 01:27 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bird on the Roof...

Taken from my roof ...

05-06-2008, 03:03 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Since this is your very first post I feel you may have put it here accidentally. Few members want their 1st photo ripped apart by critique. Since it is here I will give my opinion. It is not a totally bad picture but could use a bit of improvement.

It would be nicer if the bird were standing a bit more to the side or head on. The detail is there as I can see his molting feathers blowing in the breeze. Try to move in closer to the bird next time, use a tighter crop, or use a longer lens. I really like the blurred background; great job there! The highlights are blown a bit on the birds rump; watch your exposure next time.
05-06-2008, 03:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
Since this is your very first post I feel you may have put it here accidentally.
Not quite.. This is here on purpose.. I am learning photography by self teaching , along with my day job as a software developer... So you guys are the ones who can help me see my mistakes..

QuoteOriginally posted by J.Scott Quote
It would be nicer if the bird were standing a bit more to the side, or head on. The detail is there as I can see his molting feathers blowing in the breeze. Try to move in closer to the bird next time, use a tighter crop, or use a longer lens. I really like the blurred background; great job there! The highlights are blown a bit on the birds rump; watch your exposure next time.
I will try to remember that the next time. BTW, any more closer to the bird and I would be off the roof...

Many thanks for the review.

Regards,
Santanu
05-06-2008, 08:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

My first reaction to this shot was fairly negative, more or less "why bother?" But then I looked again, and I rather like it, despite its technical flaws. Birds are difficult to photograph well, especially if you haven't got a big lens. If you can't fill the frame with the bird, then you have to compensate in other ways.

I really like the composition - it's sitting right at the peak, it's looking at you but still showing that flash of red on the rump (what bird is it, btw?), and I particularly like the off-centre composition. At first I thought you'd broken a bunch of "rules" and had it work, but then I realised that the bird's head is pretty much at the intersection of thirds, i.e. 1/3 from the right, 1/3 from the bottom. The large area of oof background becomes almost a compositional element in itself. It bothers me slightly that the bird is in front of a light area, but you got a wonderful catchlight in its eye.

You do have blown highlights and the eye seems not quite sharp, but those things come with practice. As a picture of a bird, it's not entirely successful, but as a pleasing composition overall, it works.

Of course, you must bear in mind that I'm just a keen amateur and might be talking the most incredible nonsense! But I think you're definitely starting out on the right track.

Julie

05-06-2008, 09:41 PM   #5

Original Poster
Dear Julie,
Many thanks for the feedback. I am working on my sense of exposure.
However, with the lens that I have (an used, 170-500 mm Sigma APO DG ), it was impossible to get closer to the bird. I could do a crop, thereby centering the bird, however, being not too confident about my bird shooting capabilities (:-)), I decided to go for a better composition rather than the perfect bird picture.
Actually this bird is pretty common in Kolkata. it is a Redvented Bulbul (Pycnonotus cafer).

Regards,
Santanu
05-07-2008, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by santanu Quote
I could do a crop, thereby centering the bird, however, being not too confident about my bird shooting capabilities (:-)), I decided to go for a better composition rather than the perfect bird picture.
Definitely the right call - if the bird were centered, it would be less interesting. I really like the composition, you made a good decision.

QuoteOriginally posted by santanu Quote
Actually this bird is pretty common in Kolkata. it is a Redvented Bulbul (Pycnonotus cafer).
It's well-named! Maybe if it's so common you'll have another chance to photograph it. It looks like your roof is a good perch!

Julie