Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2014, 01:40 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
equestrienne
Lens: Sigma 70-200/2,8 Camera: Pentax K5 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5 

hi,
slightly unconventional approach to the "back-profile"!? I attach two variants. I would be cheerful your constructive opinions and suggestions!
regards

Name:  b-profil.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  104.2 KB

Name:  b-profil b&w.jpg
Views: 767
Size:  99.7 KB

07-09-2014, 12:39 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think that B&W is just beautiful (I'm pea-green with envy; no matter how hard I try, just can't get those clean blacks and whites).

Speaking as a total non-expert, just as a viewer, my only complaint is the out of focus areas, particularly the braid. For me, if everything - hat, face, hair, shoulder - were in crisp focus, the photo would be even better.

I don't know what the conventional wisdom is about how much of the face to show in this kind of shot, but I like the way this is positioned; there's enough to let us see what she looks like, but leaves a little mystery.
07-12-2014, 01:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PeggyR Quote
I think that B&W is just beautiful (I'm pea-green with envy; no matter how hard I try, just can't get those clean blacks and whites). Speaking as a total non-expert, just as a viewer, my only complaint is the out of focus areas, particularly the braid. For me, if everything - hat, face, hair, shoulder - were in crisp focus, the photo would be even better. I don't know what the conventional wisdom is about how much of the face to show in this kind of shot, but I like the way this is positioned; there's enough to let us see what she looks like, but leaves a little mystery.
hi,
Thank you for your attention and thinking!
07-12-2014, 04:16 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I like the b&w version. It is more cool than the color version. I love the tone and the background in the face on the b&w version.

I do find the highlight on the hair as well as the spot on the shoulder to be a bit overblown. Don't know if it is worth to try a version to localize the reduction of highlight on the hair and the bright spot on the shoulder. Dodge and burn the areas to less overblown if that makes sense.

Cheers,
Hin

08-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hi,
what to do when the Pentax is not programmed to balance (alleviating) to strong light and crossing in a shadow! The truth is that some time in the photo "repaired" in PP! For me personally the B & W much better!
Velja
08-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Personally I like that the focus falls off towards the shoulder and I prefer the color shot because in the B&W the highlights on the braid are just too distracting from the softer light on the face. Did you have a reflector or flash to splash the light up under the brim off the helmet? It looks like it was either flash or a silver reflector because it is quite contrasty.
I am working at doing equine photos with my daughter and just made a DIY scrim to help tame and soften the light for the outdoor shoots. Haven't tried it out yet but I am surely looking forward to it. I'll post the results here and see what you think.
08-07-2014, 10:27 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi,
Thank you for your attention and IMO! As for additional lighting, it was not !! My position when shooting was under the trees that surround the arena! It was early morning and svjetost came with my left hand (through the trees)! I kept the camera on the TV; Cf and continuous shooting for the action!
Regards, Velja
01-15-2015, 01:59 PM   #8
Forum Member

I think the color version is better, i like BW mostly but in this case i think the skin tones worth to be shown, bedsides on BW version there is some kind of white halo around the helmet, (more noticeable at the rear part) and is a little bit distractive. On color version this is lost with the blue sky so looks more natural.

I like the sharpness on the subject face, her profile is very well defined. Très bien por la equestrienne!

04-04-2015, 11:32 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Eder, thank you for your attention and expressed opinion! Probably I would easily "refined" B & W version and thus annulled the reflection of the sun from the sand substrate? Nice day you want!
04-17-2015, 07:19 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Black and white is better but I guess that you used some kind of color filter in PP or maybe increased the contrast too much. You can try to change to different filter color and tweak the image from there. Sharpness is good. This image can be better done with different kind of PP...

Last edited by RAART; 05-05-2015 at 11:03 PM.
04-26-2015, 01:27 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nicely done. This picture tells a story without revealing too much and without a caption. I can sense the anxiety in the rider and I can sense that she is involved in some type of competition. Well done...
04-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Nicely done. This picture tells a story without revealing too much and without a caption. I can sense the anxiety in the rider and I can sense that she is involved in some type of competition. Well done...
Thank you for attention!
05-05-2015, 06:36 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I love this if it were an abstract shot. The black and white really draws you in. Also, I think that for it to be a really good shot, you should have their face in the photo. smiling! Otherwise, I like the color, dof, and sharpness. Well done.
06-02-2015, 06:21 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Scott, thank you for your attention and opinion!