Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
07-10-2014, 07:19 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
children & football
Lens: DA L 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Camera: K-500 Photo Location: Copacabana ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

Hi, please take the time to tell me (1) what I should have done, and (2) what can still be done to get a better result? Thanks!

Attached Images

07-10-2014, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The colors in this photo look a bit too artificial to me. They almost work, but I would tone things down a bit

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2014, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the shot, no matter how "busy" the colours are.
Tells a story in a minimalistic way that works.

I was hoping that "Lola" would be in the picture though!
When I saw that this was taken in Copacabana ....

Cheers!

JP
07-10-2014, 09:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello
I can't say I like the processing here with the strange color. I'm not sure what the intent was with the color shift but if it was to make the boys stand out I might make the surroundings monochrome and leave the boys in color. I did a rough edit to show what I mean and posted it here.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69407470@N06/14625134145/in/photostream/
I tried to get the color back to a more natural hue. I also straightened the horizon as it's sloping down to the left.
Cheers
Greg

07-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks you all!

Very true, I was trying to get the yellow shirt right, and the rest turned a bit like the (badly) colored silent movies :-(
Lots to learn, I guess I'll just have to come back to it later...

btw, JP, when I do get around to a "final" picture, I want to name it "the next generation" - loved it! :-)

Ciau,
EO
07-19-2014, 06:55 PM - 1 Like   #6

Hi Evangalina,
I like the photo the boys playing football drag the eye to them, but as Gregory said the colours seem off to me also and as you said you was trying to get the shirt colour correct. I quickly tried to do a colour correction in Photoshop and noticed then that the boys shorts were much brighter than the boys shirt so I did a quick brightness adjustment on the boys shirt only and it seemed to make it look a little better, difficult to fully determine without the original though. I personally go to a lot of trouble to ensure all my equipment especially Monitors are colour calibrated but that's probably for a different Forum, have posted your photo with the very slight changes I made hope you don't mind I know I am way of off getting the original colour back, am I on the right track?
Attached Images

Last edited by chrissmithy; 07-19-2014 at 06:57 PM. Reason: poor spelling
07-19-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

A bit more "realistic" but perhaps that's not what you intended?

Last edited by wildman; 07-25-2014 at 08:37 AM.
07-20-2014, 08:26 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for all the help!
There's also a tale behind the mix up. Working in Linux, I tried first to use Rawstudio to develop the RAW file, never having used it, thought the colours were all wrong, and tried to correct it. Uploaded the photo for critique and had it printed the next day - got back a shocking greenish blue picture, was sooo embarassed. Tried URraw next, also pondered you hints, and this is what I finally arrived at.

The question, though, is if I see most pictures in the "right" colours, how did I miss the obvious cast in the first? Is it possible to have colour calibration problems limited to - or at least more evident - a specific software? I feel I'm really missing something
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
07-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Dear Evangelina,

do you calibrate your monitor?

To have color reliability in color managed apps you need to calibrate with a colorimeter.
07-21-2014, 02:21 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Ruben,
I never did - and will have to find out how it may be done - haven't a clue...
07-21-2014, 11:46 PM - 1 Like   #11
Inactive Account

You need a hardware tool to do so.

I calibrate with a Spyder4 (Pro). Once calibrated, you can be sure you're seeing the right colors of your images, given than nowadays the monitor is the only window to the colors of your images, given that the information is saved into the image file. And there is no other way to "see" these informations than through the monitor.

Once calibrated, I suggest you to inform yourself about Soft Proofing and printing with ICC printing profiles. That would be the second step... but the first is calibrating the monitor.

Color management is a complex theme. Here is a good homepage to get into it:
Tutorials on Color Management & Printing
07-23-2014, 07:51 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ruben Quote
You need a hardware tool to do so.

I calibrate with a Spyder4 (Pro). Once calibrated, you can be sure you're seeing the right colors of your images...]

Ruben, I'm truly grateful - I was a bit worried about how to proceed, now I know how to begin!
Thanks, Evangelina
07-23-2014, 08:15 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Evangelina,
Regarding color management, the advice given above is very good. Just make sure you save your images intended for web display in the sRGB color space which represents the best possible compromise.

Regarding your image, it has some charm and tells a fun story, especially being taken in Brazil.
Critically, I'm of two minds.

1. Staying with the "minimalist" approach, I would clone out a few distracting bits, like the orange structure in the background (yes I know it "matches" the ball, but I still find it to be distracting), the brown bit in the foreground left front, yellow tshirt hanging on the volleyball net, the bathing bodies in the distance. This give more space to the boys.

2. On a more wholesale scale, I would have recommended taking the photo a lot more up close. Too much sky and beach and the boys seem so diminished as to dilute the story. I also would have captured all of them in more intense movement. The boy in green shorts scratching his back breaks the spell a bit energetically.

Hope this helps.

M
07-23-2014, 09:21 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote

Hope this helps.

M
It does indeed, thanks Miguel!
I agree, and I really abhor the orange structure - it will be the first thing taken once I learn to clone out.
And point taken on the break in the movement and also on the the distance.
I'm trying to learn "everything" at once, and it shows...
But having all this help, I'll just keep it up!