Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2014, 09:31 AM   #1

High contrast landscape/architecture
Lens: DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Trondheim ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F11 

Hi.

Trying out high contrast. Feedback is appriciated

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
07-11-2014, 09:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that is full of rich colors and striking lines, nice job.
I do detect a few blown highlights; perhaps you can keep your strong mid and shadow profile, but pull back the bright brights a little. Also, some dust spots and a slight tilt to the horizon. The wall perspective effect masks the horizon, but the three poles and vertical lines are all leaning right, so I believe you could tilt is CCW a little.
The rightmost edge of the building is getting lost in the clouds behind it, which is troubling my eye a little.
I hope any of that helps & good luck!
07-11-2014, 10:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions. The middle pole actually tilts quite a bit to the right. A snowplow damaged it. But i will try to straighten it a little. Should i use the right side corner of the building as vertical Reference you think? I'll upload an edited Version later.

Edit: Have straightended the horizon. Having trouble reducing the blown highlights. The building and the skies are so Close in brightness that i can't separate them. If i reduce the highlights it all looks a bit grey. Suggestions?

Edit2: Figured out the highlights. Better now?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 

Last edited by timcatn; 07-11-2014 at 10:53 AM.
07-11-2014, 04:41 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
that improved the highlights, all except for the bright area adjacent to the building. It really causes the edge of the building to lose definition, which is a bit bothersome. if you know how to make a mask to block the building and then clone in darker clouds from somewhere else in the pic, or if you have >CS4, you could use content aware fill, otherwise, it may be more trouble than its worth to correct.

07-11-2014, 10:18 PM   #5

Original Poster
First time using the content aware tool (PS CC). Did that and used the spot healing tool to even out the transitions. Not a brilliant job, but i get the idea. If i used more time it probably would be better.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo