Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2008, 07:44 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Charleston scene for your comments

This shot was taken with the kit lens at 18mm 1/100 s. F4 +2/3 EV. I really like how it looks almost like a watercolor. I would love some c&c on how to improve the shot as I am a newcomer to this camera and to slr's. I have ordered two new lenses for my K100d super and both should arrive sometime this week. Thank you President Bush.
Any and all c&c would be appreciated, Susan

05-06-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
Damn Brit

An interesting shot, I would probably crop a little off the bottom and crop the top to just above the Stop sign. I would also darken it some.
05-06-2008, 06:34 PM   #3
Pentaxian

My 1st thought is to loose the stop sign. Do this with croping to the brick wall. Second the picture is over-exposed which means the white areas are just too much to reduce even in a post processing software. You can still make it look like a watercolor with a lower exposure

The topic and overall location for the shot is good. If you can go back, practice some shots with different exposures and pay attention to what is in the whole frame. Have funa nd try different things.
05-07-2008, 06:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions and comments Damn Brit and Weatherwise2. I do have another shot of the same scene which is probably much better exposure-wise and it lacks the stop sign. I just felt that this one may have had some value even though it is overexposed. I think those shadows on the building on the left created a mood of "Old" Charleston and I rather liked that. This photography stuff is really hard and I do appreciate any and all comments from all of you.
Thanks again for your suggestions.
Susan

05-07-2008, 06:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Completely off topic, but when I first saw the thread I expected to see a couple of people dancing charleston
05-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Here's the kind of crop I was thinking of, I took some off the left hand side as well. It makes the stops sign appear to be for the archway behind it.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
05-08-2008, 07:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmm. Loses that wispy watercolor effect. I'll try that on my computer and enlarge it to see if I like it better. Have to admit, when you first suggested it I just wasn't sure but after seeing what you did, I think you are on to something.
Thanks, Susan

05-08-2008, 02:23 PM   #8
Damn Brit

You're welcome, I know it completely changes your picture but I also think it adds something at the same time.
Gary