Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
technical help
Lens: 35mm f2.4 Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Beach ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F3.5 

I was finishing up a day at the beach when I saw some fire works. I got out of the car set my camera to bracketing and shot. I remember my dad always tells me tat he doesn't like fire works because he grew up in tough times with terrorists setting off bombs. I shot/edited with that in mind. It becomes more relevant now, with the current Israel/Palestine escalation.

Regardless, This picture came out the best, but there was like a strange oval glow on the woman's hair (don't know what that is called). I edited the best I could. Is it noticeable when you look at the image? I don't really want to scrap this picture.
Any other advice is appreciated (particularly editing advice).

Last edited by nicofish; 07-17-2014 at 10:09 PM.
07-18-2014, 01:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't see any halo?
07-18-2014, 10:12 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok. Thank you that means I did a good job getting rid of it. I can kind of see it still. It sticks out to me, but I suppose it is apparent to me because I know where it is(around shoulder height on the hair).

Thanks
07-18-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
i can't see it either on my laptop but below is a tutorial on halo touch-up that you may find useful.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Tim

07-18-2014, 02:37 PM   #5
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nicofish Quote
Ok. Thank you that means I did a good job getting rid of it. I can kind of see it still. It sticks out to me, but I suppose it is apparent to me because I know where it is(around shoulder height on the hair).

Thanks
I've downloaded it into Photoshop and manipulated it there and I still cannot see anything. I think you've killed it good!
07-18-2014, 09:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I looked at it its still there and its not a sharpening halo it looks to be an lens effect a sort of flaring caused by the firework.

I edited the image, the first edit is lifted in brightness to show the flare, the second edit is after I eradicated it.

A reveal all mask allowed me to airbrush it out with a soft brush and an opacity of 12% to 35% revealing a darker image beneath,

Im unhappy with the hair, it shows what appears to be heavy reworking, so ive tidied it up a little along the edge again using a reveal mask.

The fireworks are way overexposed, all meaningful detail blown out, so im unhappy with that.

I know the brightness was extremely difficult to handle but I would have hoped for something more.

In all its a good attempt but several issues hold it back. I cant suggest a retake because the fireworks are gone.

Next time try deliberate and deep underexposure by 3 or 4 stops or more to try to limit the blown away highlights, and then salvage what you can of shadow detail, accepting the increased grain.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-19-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Cannot understand what all the fuss is about. I would scrap this terrible photo. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear!
07-24-2014, 03:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Im unhappy with the hair, it shows what appears to be heavy reworking, so ive tidied it up a little along the edge again using a reveal mask.
What do you mean by heavy reworking? I don't have photoshop if that is what you mean. The only thing I did to the image was put it in monochrome and play with the tone curve a bit.

QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Next time try deliberate and deep underexposure by 3 or 4 stops or more to try to limit the blown away highlights, and then salvage what you can of shadow detail, accepting the increased grain.
Thanks for the advice, but I deliberately blew the fire works. I wanted it to look kind of apocalyptic.
I can't retake the picture because the fire works are gone and the woman is gone too. A man who was presumably her husband came over to her and told her she was getting in the way of my picture.
Thanks for the help

07-24-2014, 03:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If you rework an image too heavily you get posterisation its a sort of banding where bands of different brightness appear instead of smooth gradual changes.

At the edge of the hair is such a band it could be a simple effect of brightness nothing to do with any editing but it still looks odd so I darkened it a little so it was less obvious.

I have attached two images the first is a crop of the hair taken from your original posted image, and the second image is a similar crop from my edited image showing the same area and the slight change I made to the hair to make it look more natural.

Its a matter of taste as in so many things.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
07-24-2014, 04:41 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hmm, I see what you mean. However, the highlight also indicates where her neck is. When you loose the highlight it is harder to see the direction in which she is looking.
As you said ultimately it is a matter of taste.
08-09-2014, 02:08 PM   #11

Before reading your comments I had the feeling this shot was taken after some kind of attack. I love how the street draws your attention from the girl to the fireworks. Also the reflection on the cars is nice. It could be a movie-still.

One remark - maybe I would have looked for a slightly different composition where the electricity posts are not 'growing' from her head. E.g. by aligning yourself, the girl and the end of the street.
08-15-2014, 06:51 PM   #12

Really nice photo. I think you succeeded in getting the apocalyptic look you were going for, and I for one like the extremely high contrast and the degree of distortion. If I had any suggestion, it would be to echo Vinni that you could have perhaps placed yourself differently so her head was completely outlined by the fireworks, without the poles in the distance.
08-15-2014, 10:39 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Good call Vinni. I should have composed so the post isnt growing out of her head. I suppose being able to consideer things like that the moment you are shooting is what makes a good photographer. That is what I like about street photography, it keeps you thinking. Im constantly changing my aperture and shutter speed (I shoot in tav) and positioning. The challenge is that you only get one chance.
08-17-2014, 09:51 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by nicofish Quote
Good call Vinni. I should have composed so the post isnt growing out of her head. I suppose being able to consideer things like that the moment you are shooting is what makes a good photographer. That is what I like about street photography, it keeps you thinking. Im constantly changing my aperture and shutter speed (I shoot in tav) and positioning. The challenge is that you only get one chance.
Thanks. That's indeed the challenge in street photography and also what makes it fun. A situation only presents itself once! Then again, the story of the image has more value than it's technical quality. Pixel peeping doesn't apply

Two months ago I started to blog about some of my street adventures. If you have time, you might enjoy these:
Trap your victim in the frame
The man with his eyes closed