Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-07-2008, 05:09 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hanging Around

Taken at SanDiego zoo. SMC A 50mm 1.7 lens on K10D 1/45 seconds f 5.6 iso 800. Here is another photo rejected by the Pentax photo gallery. Does anyone have any comments on why it didn't make it into the gallery?
Joe D.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by jpdsr3; 05-14-2008 at 08:03 AM.
06-01-2008, 03:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Joe,
here's what I've come up with, and it is hopefully the least common denominator from what I like, what I know of basic composition rules and all this transferred to the Pentax photo gallery and what I guess they want to see.

Isolation of subject: Typical shot here would be only the snake and a little bit of the branch to the left or right, nothing else (maybe would've been possible from the down-left side to get a free background).

No eyes, ho head: The typical thing is always focus on the eyes, the rest as sharp as allowed. Obviously you could not ask the snake to say 'cheese', but that could be the main reason why you can't get this picture through.

Sharp sharp sharp: Typical shot like this would demand the complete animal to be tack tack tack you know what I mean.

What I would do with this particular pic: Crop only partial detail of the snake, like a macro design study. But then again, resolution has to be extraordinary good, and that's not likely with such a crop factor and ISO800.

I still like this shot and the colors of the thing are unreal. If I'd just be passing by there, I would have said: 'Hey a hosepipe' and tried to pick it up :-)

I always find it useful to ask oneself before and after shooting why and how you did the pics you like (and the dislikes) and what you want to alter the next time. This could include complying to general rules and tastes (good reference point at least) but could also lead to your personal picture language that in many parts would be rejected by a general public.

Sorry for long text, all success,
Georg
06-01-2008, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

IMO..

I guess there would be two things IMO why this one wouldn't of gotten selected..

The first... there is no head.. have a head showing in this picture would of made a world of difference.

and Two.. to me the green of the background and the green of the snake do not compliment each other very well..

sorry it didn't get selected... Kim
06-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #4

I would agree with the other comments, the missing head, and also possibly the exposure and white balance seem a bit off. Maybe a touch dark and the standard zoo lighting.. give it an odd glow. Its still a cool shot, even though it didn't make it with the Big Dogs.