Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Your opinion matters...
Lens: Pentax DA 50mm 1.8 Camera: Pentax K-5II Photo Location: Niagara Escarpment ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F1.8 

Please comment...

07-30-2014, 08:08 AM   #2

I like the photo a lot and don't see too much that could be improved with the subject. Technically, the photo is really good.

My only thought is that the subject is somewhat boring. For me, a wider lens, up closer that put the entire car in view would be a more interesting photo. Something like the 14mm f/2.8 or 12mm lens at f/4 shot from half or a quarter of the distance.

Long story short: I'd love to have this photo in my flickr account but don't see it on my wall; it's a great photo, it's just not interesting enough.
07-30-2014, 10:18 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I dig it!
07-30-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
I like the photo a lot and don't see too much that could be improved with the subject. Technically, the photo is really good.

My only thought is that the subject is somewhat boring. For me, a wider lens, up closer that put the entire car in view would be a more interesting photo. Something like the 14mm f/2.8 or 12mm lens at f/4 shot from half or a quarter of the distance.

Long story short: I'd love to have this photo in my flickr account but don't see it on my wall; it's a great photo, it's just not interesting enough.
Check my flickr account and see the Black and White album... You might like other versions more than this one

Link to B&W Album on Flickr!

Last edited by RAART; 07-30-2014 at 01:41 PM. Reason: added link
07-30-2014, 02:07 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like it, and I know what u mean. Some times I'll put 2 or more versions together or different trucks, cars, what ever to sell as a set. Sometimes in same frame.
Maybe front, side, back? It works nice.
07-30-2014, 06:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think jk333 hit it on the head about the content being "boring." I'm curious why you framed the shot this way? I assume you had access to the whole vehicle to compose the shot. Old machinery can be fun to shoot at a close up perspective due to interesting textures. It seems like here you are both too wide and too narrow--trapped in a netherland where there's not quite enough to see. Personally the best vehicle shots I've seen capture the essential energy of the thing whether it's a sleek sports car or a working truck. I'm sure it's possible with this old Ford.
Also, I'd suggest you lose the sepia; it's too cliched and better suited to larger scenes.

M
07-30-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with the others, for the most part. It's a subject with potential, not entirely tapped. You are simultaneously too close and too far away. The proximity of the headlight and the radiator cap (?) to the edges of the image are distracting to me. An image that captures the viewer's attention needs to have lines that always pull you in and circle your eye around the image. The proximity to the edges creates a dead-end for a traveling eye. Either back up and let the photo be a portrait, or step forward and create a detail shot (or abstraction of textures). I don't think the sepia is the right choice for the image and I'd go with a straight black/white.

Just my opinion! Obviously, you should make choices that please you, but don't forget to explore and make discoveries!

08-01-2014, 05:48 AM   #8

I like the sepia but agree that B&W could look good too. I looked at your flickr stream. The photo closest to what I'd want is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125460979@N03/14602245350/in/set-72157645939611996

That photo is an example of how I would have framed it, BUT, to me it's going to look better with a wider lens from a closer distance because the car will fill the frame even more. The car is not in your face enough. A wider lens from a closer distance, will make that photo. Shallow DOF focused on the Ford and license plate should work.

Kit lens, 18mm, f/3.5 and get closer!

PS - nice photos on flickr; I liked looking at them.
08-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jk333 Quote
I like the sepia but agree that B&W could look good too. I looked at your flickr stream. The photo closest to what I'd want is:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/125460979@N03/14602245350/in/set-72157645939611996

That photo is an example of how I would have framed it, BUT, to me it's going to look better with a wider lens from a closer distance because the car will fill the frame even more. The car is not in your face enough. A wider lens from a closer distance, will make that photo. Shallow DOF focused on the Ford and license plate should work.

Kit lens, 18mm, f/3.5 and get closer!

PS - nice photos on flickr; I liked looking at them.
Thanks.
08-03-2014, 07:27 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the framing on the posted pic. I think the dent in the radiator in the upper right corner creates a highlight, which then creates a triangle with the headlight and license plate...and triangles are always strong compositional frameworks. However...I also kinda agree with those who said to get closer and shoot wider. Without being there it's hard to tell, but I suspect that if you did that, then you'd be forced to recompose because that dent in the radiator would appear to be WAY out there compared to the rest of the composition. Overall, I think this photo is about texture...peeling paint, rust, headlight glass, radiator fins, raised letters on the license plate, etc...
08-03-2014, 11:43 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I like the framing on the posted pic. I think the dent in the radiator in the upper right corner creates a highlight, which then creates a triangle with the headlight and license plate...and triangles are always strong compositional frameworks. However...I also kinda agree with those who said to get closer and shoot wider. Without being there it's hard to tell, but I suspect that if you did that, then you'd be forced to recompose because that dent in the radiator would appear to be WAY out there compared to the rest of the composition. Overall, I think this photo is about texture...peeling paint, rust, headlight glass, radiator fins, raised letters on the license plate, etc...
Actually you got it right... I never mention what I had in my mind when I cropped the picture that way but you got it 95% right and BTW this is a crop from picture bellow... I could crop it different way but it was all about patterns, textures and symmetry and excellent subject, an old rusty 1928 Ford AA Delivery Truck.