Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #1

Your thoughts on how this might be improved.
Lens: Pentax 18-135mm Camera: K-50 Photo Location: Oregon 

I'd be interested in your thoughts on how this might be improved. All constructive criticism is welcome as I'm always interested in hearing other ideas.

07-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TedW Quote
how this might be improved
Over-saturated - the tone gradient in the sky is blocking up and getting muddy.
07-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps a slight shift I color temperature. Give the whites a reddish tinge. Assuming currently WB is set to 5000k drop the color temperature to 3500-4000k
07-30-2014, 05:26 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is it a photo of the carpark or the sunset? I do the same thing include to much information in a photo, if you get my drift.

07-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
So, what is the subject of the photo?

M
07-31-2014, 05:35 AM   #6

What are the interest about the car parking? . Wipe it or find another angle
07-31-2014, 06:22 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Subject and composition: If the motorcycle and riders are the subject, try to isolate them from the parked cars by changing the shooting angle and put the cycle more in the foreground. Don't be afraid to try making them a silhouette, and expose for the sunset. If the sunset is the sole subject, crop most or all of the vehicles and people out.

Color is over-saturated as Wildman said.. One tricky aspect of shooting sunsets with foreground subjects, is that the color temperature of the sunset will always be really low, and the foreground will be really high, and there's high dynamic range. Some fill flash isn't always ideal, but it can go a long ways towards helping this. Since your subject was stationary, shooting at low ISO while using a tripod may have helped the dynamic range. Adding some fill flash would decrease the color temperature of the foreground and help keep the dynamic range more manageable.
08-04-2014, 01:49 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the input. Lots of good feedback. As for the background of the photo, it wasn't planned or staged. I came out of a building after photographing some dogs and the sunset was there but quickly changing by the minute. I didn't really have time to explore and set up a shot and so the bikers were not a prop but were actually getting ready to leave the parking lot. The saturation and white balance are items that I'm just learning about so this was rather helpful.

08-09-2014, 05:46 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I saw this pic the other day...didn't quite know what to say...and so, said nothing. First off, that is a KILLER sky! Yeah...ya gotta shoot that, don't you? After thinking about it, I've decided what it is that bothers me. It's that I can tell there's a guy on that motorcycle, but I can't really see him...and that frustrates me. People want to look at people. If there's a person in a photo, we look at them...or try to. So even though you've got this great sunset working for you, we're still trying to look at the motorcycle guy in the shadows! That tells me, he needs to go. I think you could even leave in some of the tops of the cars for interest, as long as you didn't include enough of the motorcycle guy for him to register as to what he is. For me, the visual clues that say, "Oh...this is a guy on a motorcycle" starts when we see the headlight and turn signals...and gets confirmed with the highlights of the engine.
08-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #10

Original Poster
TaoMaas (and others) I do really appreciate the feedback. I get what you are saying about the riders. I tried to brush in more exposure to the riders and only got as far as what you see without making a mess. So, yes that was frustrating to me also. I did take a couple more shots of this amazing sky. Behind the trees is an industrial area hence the electrical wires which seem to always mess up sunsets anywhere near an urban era. So here is another shot taken at the same time.

But, hey, I learned several new things from this and that was my goal. Thanks for the analysis.

08-14-2014, 04:42 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I almost like this last pic you posted better than the original, simply because it's clear the subject is the sky. Would love to have seen it with the sky of the first pic. People think sunsets/sunrises are easy, but they are a lot more fleeting than folks think. Even if you had been able to pull up the motorcycle rider to an acceptable level in the first pic, I'm not sure how much it would have helped because it still would have created a situation where we want to look at the person when the real subject was the sky, ya know? People are easily distracted. In a photo like this, you want them to see it and say, "Wow! What a sunset!" You don't want to introduce elements that will make them gloss over the sky and ask, "Is that a Harley he's riding?"