Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Attempt at portraiture
Lens: DA35 f2.4 Camera: Pentax K-r 

First attempt at portrait work. Observations and comments on improving the picture are welcome.

Attached Images

08-06-2014, 03:54 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pretty good, I think you need to try to get some more light on the left side of her face. The backlighting is very good, and appears strong enough to use reflectors instead of harsh flash. I'd try a reflector below face level angled up, and another above head height angled down to the forehead.
08-06-2014, 04:08 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The tonal range seems to make it look a bit flat. Try increasing contrast or adjusting the tonal range. Currently it goes from full white to a mid or dark mid tone rather than any point which seems black. Try reprocessing it to see if you can improve that. I would be curious as to your opinion of that.
08-06-2014, 04:24 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments. @tim60, to improve on the tonality will give it another go.

08-06-2014, 09:39 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by juacali Quote
Thanks for the comments. @tim60, to improve on the tonality will give it another go.

I tried to lighten up the shadows on the face to get more balance and soften the skin a bit.
Cropped the top negative space to center her a bit more.
Medium Contrast curve added. And tried to remove white blemish on cheek.
08-06-2014, 01:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BATMON Quote

I tried to lighten up the shadows on the face to get more balance and soften the skin a bit.
Cropped the top negative space to center her a bit more.
Medium Contrast curve added. And tried to remove white blemish on cheek.

To my eye that is much better.

The idea came to me from a memory of an old school friend, who later became a Rhodes scholar, when he looked at some B&W prints I had made. He said a B&W print should have some black and some white and a spread in between. (Like all of these kinds of rules, can be broken for effect. [my take on it]).
08-07-2014, 05:04 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
@BATMON...a huge difference with the changes applied. have to keep practicing on black and white conversions - keeping in mind the advice from @ tim60 friend.." a B&W print should have some black and some white and a spread in between"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/41-photo-critique/269698-people-attempt-p...#ixzz39hu7chpn

08-09-2014, 05:28 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless there is some over-riding composition that breaks the rule, 99% of the time, the element that makes us connect to a portrait (or not) is the eyes. Here, I like pretty much everything except two things. The first is minor...that little bit of the curtain pattern intruding on the right. The second is more serious. You can't really see her eyes. When you can't see the subject's eyes in a portrait, it's like talking to a stranger who has sunglasses on. Just by way of how humans interact with each other, it makes it very hard to gauge how you feel about them.