Camera: Ricoh Diacord G ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F8 

Thank you for your feedback.
Cheers

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pavpen/14662148178/

08-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think it could use a bump in contrast (more blacks). The stop pole is a bit small and somewhat lost in the composition.
08-07-2014, 07:02 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Agreed. It stands out in focus, but needs to pop a little more in the blacks. Or shoot it with a wider aperture to blur the background more. I think the pole is cool looking, regardless, and I like the overall composition.
08-07-2014, 09:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
I think it could use a bump in contrast (more blacks). The stop pole is a bit small and somewhat lost in the composition.
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Agreed. It stands out in focus, but needs to pop a little more in the blacks. Or shoot it with a wider aperture to blur the background more. I think the pole is cool looking, regardless, and I like the overall composition.
Thank you for your opinion. Unfortunately, the pole was painted with gray paint, so i could not do much about it. I try add more contrast and the all dark background was clipped completely without darkening enough the main object.
Cheers.

08-07-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Here's my take.
Attachment 232771

Last edited by SpecialK; 12-29-2016 at 11:10 AM.
08-08-2014, 07:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Here's my take.
Attachment 232771
Thank you SpecialK. I like your take.
Cheers.
08-08-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Had a little fun with this one...

Last edited by wildman; 08-27-2014 at 06:44 PM.
08-09-2014, 05:14 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that the post gets lost in your initial composition. Keep in mind that there are rules as to what things draw our eyes. In most cases, we're first drawn to the brightest area in a photograph. With the photo framed as-is, that would be the blank sky in the upper right. The eye also gets drawn to areas of contrast, which again would be the tree on the right against the blank sky. It dominates the composition. Cropping out that part, as a couple of folks did, allows your viewer to more easily notice your subject...the horse-head post. Even though I like the way the light on the post separates it from the background on the front, the lack of light on the backside makes it blend into the shadows behind. It's almost merging a bit with the shadows in the background. I wonder if it might not have been better to have repositioned your camera and placed the horse head against the lighter portion of the building in the background, but I also suspect that doing that probably would have lost the overhanging branch that helps frame things, so that's really just arm-chair quarterbacking. Everybody's an expert after-the-fact, right? Overall, I think it's an interesting subject. I like the setting and the textures. It makes me want to know more about this place.

08-10-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
I agree that the post gets lost in your initial composition. Keep in mind that there are rules as to what things draw our eyes. In most cases, we're first drawn to the brightest area in a photograph. With the photo framed as-is, that would be the blank sky in the upper right. The eye also gets drawn to areas of contrast, which again would be the tree on the right against the blank sky. It dominates the composition. Cropping out that part, as a couple of folks did, allows your viewer to more easily notice your subject...the horse-head post. Even though I like the way the light on the post separates it from the background on the front, the lack of light on the backside makes it blend into the shadows behind. It's almost merging a bit with the shadows in the background. I wonder if it might not have been better to have repositioned your camera and placed the horse head against the lighter portion of the building in the background, but I also suspect that doing that probably would have lost the overhanging branch that helps frame things, so that's really just arm-chair quarterbacking. Everybody's an expert after-the-fact, right? Overall, I think it's an interesting subject. I like the setting and the textures. It makes me want to know more about this place.
Thank you TaoMaas for detailed response.

You may be correct that lowering camera and positioning the horse head against the light building will make stronger point. Actually, I did not think about framing by tree that you mentioned.
I understand the "perception algorithm" and I know it's not written in stone. I strongly believe that any architectural object must not/cannot be completely isolated from its surrounding for its proper perception. I also should constantly remind myself that probably it's too much to expect that the strong main object ( for me) will repeatedly attract the viewer's attention no matter what.
Cheers.