Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 05:26 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
Heck, in a pinch, your car can *be* the tripod. I used a bag of dried peas slung over the window frame for this shot....

Very true! I have a window-pod that I use with my car. I once had a pic of a snow storm that I entered into the monthly competition at our camera club. It won it's class and in the critique afterwards, the person doing the critique was lecturing the club about the need to "sacrifice for their photos". He used my pic as an example. He said, "Clearly, TaoMaas has gone out in very adverse conditions to create this picture." Then he asked me to talk about how I made the pic. I said, "Well...actually, it's a local golf course and I never got out of my car. I just rolled down the window, attached my window-pod, and shot it. I had the heater running in the car the whole time."

08-19-2014, 09:24 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
As somebody else mentioned, try shooting earlier when you have the oranges in the clouds at sunset. Orange is blue's complement and will pop a bit more.
08-20-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
While trying for just after sunset works well, theres something to be said about shots in the dead of night as well if you can find a decent location with a decent subject.

Some f'rinstances..

11:57PM

10:30PM

8PM (Maine in January, sunset is like... 4 in the afternoon then)

3AM (again, Maine winter... in summer thats almost sunrise!)

Could some of those shots have been improved aiming for around sunset or sunrise? Maybe, but they certainly wouldn't have been the same shot, and at least one would have only been subjected to a gloomy sky in lieu of a dark one.