Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Otavalo Woman
Lens: FA-31 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Otavalo, Ecuador 

I am posting two versions with only Raw conversion (Silky Pix). Would appreciate any comments anyone may offer.

Thanks,
Earl

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
08-15-2014, 05:57 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love all the things going on in this photo! My only problem is that you have her nose butted up against the side of the frame. Typically, we need to "lead" our subjects and allow them room to move into a frame. That means there should be more space in front of this woman's face than behind it. Granted, the knot in her scarf is interesting, but not enough so to offset the positioning...mostly because the head-scarf is black-on-black. For me, the bulk of the pic is in this woman's face and her necklace. Really interesting subject, btw.
08-15-2014, 06:41 AM   #3

I agree with TaoMaas, the woman needs a little "breathing room" in the front. I do like the contrast of the gold necklace on the black, and the introspective expression. The background seems a bit cluttered though, and perhaps that is why the picture may have been cropped on the left. I would blur the background more.
08-15-2014, 10:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kenntak Quote
I agree with TaoMaas, the woman needs a little "breathing room" in the front. I do like the contrast of the gold necklace on the black, and the introspective expression. The background seems a bit cluttered though, and perhaps that is why the picture may have been cropped on the left. I would blur the background more.
Thanks to TaoMass and Kenntak for the comments. You are right about the crop. It was done to eliminate background as much as possible, and left no room in front of the face. I do not have post processor with levels yet since I am just doing raw conversion so far. The positive part is the subject choice seems to be all right. Looks like I have to start shooting more open, f1.8 to 2.0, in street scenes.

Earl

08-15-2014, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by merengue Quote
Thanks to TaoMass and Kenntak for the comments. You are right about the crop. It was done to eliminate background as much as possible, and left no room in front of the face. I do not have post processor with levels yet since I am just doing raw conversion so far. The positive part is the subject choice seems to be all right. Looks like I have to start shooting more open, f1.8 to 2.0, in street scenes.

Earl
It depends on what you are trying to do .
If it is a street portrait, then yes you will want to isolate the subject.
Other type of street incorporates all of the surrounding environment to tell the story.
It is yours to choose what style to achieve.
(I also agree the crop was too close to face.)

Last edited by crewl1; 08-15-2014 at 11:09 AM.