Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2014, 07:23 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Country dusk
Lens: Sigma DC 17-50 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Mequon, WI ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F2.8 

Didn't make it to the exclusive gallery, which I find logical. How can it be improved?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
08-15-2014, 09:08 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Beautiful colours, but the angle feels...off? You could use to get closer or lower/higher.
08-15-2014, 09:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It depends what you are trying to achieve.

1 move the subjects away from obvious holes in he crop so the crop is a uniform smooth element.
2 move the subjects way to the right so the horizon is a single uniform element sweeping from left to right.
3 kneel low so the subjects tower up and the perspective is changed making them more prominent and important
4 retake until they are more focussed instead of intimately smiling and self conscious

It is confusing to me though the scene and subject are mismatched, I would want a more industrial and grungy location, or maybe want them placed on or around farm machinery like a combine, leaning against a tractor. Music and musical instruments are manufactured and that's the hook a subconscious connection linking tractor or grunge to the activity that makes the image for me.

Tell a story.
08-15-2014, 09:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The core issue is that the intimacy, joy, and craft shared by both musicians is difficult to perceive due to the extremely wide focal length used and the angle of the shot. The distance from the viewer to be musicians is too great to overcome, plus the scenery is competing with them. This creates a bit of a disconnect in me that feels inherently uncomfortable.

Perhaps if the photographer was a lot closer and lower, both the mutual interplay between the two would be captured, as well as the photogenic skies and field.

Close, but no cigar.

M

08-26-2014, 09:09 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the photo isn't quite clear about the subject. Is it a portrait of two musicians in an unusual environment? Or a photo of a natural environment with the unusual addition of two musicians? It seems to me that the musicians should be either closer to the camera, or further away.
08-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Composition is good, exposure is right given the settings, but when it comes to sharpness I think it's a bit soft. As for the story of it, I like it, It's very bohemian.
08-28-2014, 06:41 AM   #7
Pentaxian

-Decide what the subject is and show it?...

Last edited by wildman; 09-07-2014 at 12:09 AM.