Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Zebreskie Point at sunrise - Up close
Lens: 28mm Camera: Pentax LX Photo Location: Death Valley ISO: 100 Aperture: F8 

Please critique

Last edited by samartur; 01-01-2015 at 01:20 AM.
08-16-2014, 10:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice! The colours and lines are really nice. You chose a good angle to capture that great light! I would say that the sharpening (or "clarity"?) is a bit too high, because it causes some haloing, which makes the photo look a little like a painting almost. On the other hand, if that is what you were going for, you got it
08-16-2014, 10:35 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
The raw image was a little washed out and there was unmistakable noise in it, probably due to cheap scanning (I have learnt a lesson). While trying to fix the wash-out using PP, it seems to enhance the existing noise. I am going to follow the mantra from now not to PP unless I have no choice. Try to get a good image to start with. Thanks for your comments. I had no intention for the painted look.

---------- Post added 08-16-14 at 10:39 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Nice! The colours and lines are really nice. You chose a good angle to capture that great light! I would say that the sharpening (or "clarity"?) is a bit too high, because it causes some haloing, which makes the photo look a little like a painting almost. On the other hand, if that is what you were going for, you got it
I feel bad more because I let down such a beautiful work of nature than on myself.
08-16-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
This is the raw image.

08-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a great photo to begin with, doesn't really need much post processing. Noise is a problem with digital editing in general. I think there are some threads on scanning, maybe you want to take a look at them. I think some of the techniques are very cost effective
08-16-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Its a great photo to begin with, doesn't really need much post processing. Noise is a problem with digital editing in general. I think there are some threads on scanning, maybe you want to take a look at them. I think some of the techniques are very cost effective
Glad you think it is good. I felt it was a bit jaded or boring (not sure washed-up is a good term). This is where my itchy fingers start manipulating with Photoshop. In real life the place looked lot more vibrant. I use film camera and have no means to preview what the camera sees.
08-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
With minimal PP of the raw, this is what I get. This comes close to what was seen but it looks a tiny bit jaded.

08-16-2014, 12:01 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
I thought the bluish colored gravel in the foreground a bit harsh (there were gravel in that area and I don't know why they turn out blue). If I replace it with a a color close to other rocks nearby and darken the highlights,this is what i get. It brings out the striped color bands in the middle and cliff to the left (Many Beacon) a little golden (this may be cosmetic and not the way nature intended to be) All this without changing the major color content. The noise went up a bit I think.

---------- Post added 08-16-14 at 12:13 PM ----------

Maybe there is a bit more shadow at the bottom than people like to be (composition issue). The way it happened was as the Sun rose, the top cliffs get the light and slowly reaches the bottom ravines and gullies as the time progresses.