Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2014, 08:42 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Klaus, the Kitty Kaiser
Lens: Vivitar f/3.8 75-205mm (Kiron) Camera: Pentax ME Super Photo Location: Mohave Valley, AZ ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F3.5 

Easily my favorite portrait of this cat thus far. Normally the motion blur from hand-holding would have driven me crazy, however I truly love this photo. A third of the exposure was lost to light damage (it was #-2 of a 26 exposure roll), and yet the tight crop seems to make it for me.

Last edited by jadedrakerider; 08-19-2014 at 09:16 PM.
08-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #2
Site Supporter

I love how you are in love with this portrait of your feline friend. However I have to disagree with you on the blur and the lighting results.

First, the bad: The low light really makes the picture suffer, at least for me. I appreciate how some blur can lead to an artistic result and a soft image that is desirable. However, there is a fine line between intentional motion blur for style and an accident that is tolerable. I just cannot get on board with the motion blur or the noise from the lighting situation.

The good: I agree with you on the crop, as I do enjoy the intimacy of the portrait!! Very good choice there :-) and I would've done the same thing.

All of that being said, I have yet to capture a shot of my kitty that I love, so bravo for getting some results that you can be happy with.
08-24-2014, 09:26 PM - 1 Like   #3

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgblodgett Quote
I love how you are in love with this portrait of your feline friend. However I have to disagree with you on the blur and the lighting results.

The good: I agree with you on the crop, as I do enjoy the intimacy of the portrait!! Very good choice there :-) and I would've done the same thing.
Completely willing to agree to disagree. The texture of the fur with that motion blur does something -- some je ne sais quoi. That being said, normally I would agree with you. But the more I look at it, the more it just screams at me. ^.^

Cats make great models, I'm finding. Dogs seems a bit too enthusiastic and eager to put their noses right on to the front element of the lens. lol