Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 01:02 AM   #1

New To Post Processing
Lens: FA 35-80mm Camera: *istD Photo Location: Quartz Mountain Nature Park, Oklahoma ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F11 

In getting the *istD ready to give to the boy I was cleaning out the CF card and came across some of my attempts to get some sunset shots and decided to give some post work a try. I'm new to post processing and just learning how to do this. Right now I'm using FastStone. What do you guys think of this attempt, I'm pretty happy with it.

Post Process Sunset by kdf9511

And the original that this came from.

IMGP8816 by kdf9511

08-20-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Kerry,

I think you got everything that was possible out of the original. This image would make for a lovely background on your computer desktop.

Tim
08-20-2014, 07:59 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like what you've done with the colours.

I'm not so keen on the contrast work. There's a halo above the ground that makes it look like it's glowing.
And the clouds look stormy and ominous now.

Also, have you tried cropping from the right? There's a flat patch which is less exciting than the hills. A sideways crop would also
move the sun out of the center.

Sunsets and silhouettes are fun.

Regards,
--Anders.
08-20-2014, 08:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
I'm not so keen on the contrast work. There's a halo above the ground that makes it look like it's glowing.
That can happen when you bump the contrast. Here is a great tutorial on how to remove halos using the clone brush.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Tim

08-20-2014, 08:43 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
Kerry,

I think you got everything that was possible out of the original. This image would make for a lovely background on your computer desktop.

Tim

I thought so as well. I have a feeling it will go into the rotation on my work computer.
08-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #6
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I actually prefer/like the original one. And as regards your choices, the one I would comment most on is the cropping of the large black land mass--it gives (gave) weight to/anchors the picture, opposing the lighter thinner sky and clouds (again in the original).
08-20-2014, 03:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I actually prefer/like the original one. And as regards your choices, the one I would comment most on is the cropping of the large black land mass--it gives (gave) weight to/anchors the picture, opposing the lighter thinner sky and clouds (again in the original).
Yea, I wondered about that after I did it. I thought it was just too much black at the bottom of the pic. I may play with this one some more tonight and see if I can make it a bit better.