Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
09-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Why would anyone worry about "feeling stupid"? Life's an open book test and none of us have read all the books. Your friend is in mid career and might find this interesting:

Art and Visual Perception: A Psychology of the Creative Eye – by Rudolf Arnheim

The Amazon reviews are pretty accurate. Gestalt was his starting point and his work is still widely cited. Not light reading but I think the effort will be rewarded. You'll find Leading Lines (Direction ), a full explanation of Rule of Thirds ( Structural Skeleton of a Square) and a great deal more.
Amazon vs holding a job in the field for the last few decades? Really? LOL Look...you're right that this is a visual theory. How well it applies to photographs vs logos is very much in debate, but it's definitely something to be aware of. My only original point was that this was a "rule" on the par with the more traditional things. It was CERTAINLY no reason to demean someone's attempt to help...which is how this all got started.

09-24-2014, 11:11 AM   #47
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Amazon vs holding a job in the field for the last few decades? Really? LOL Look...you're right that this is a visual theory. How well it applies to photographs vs logos is very much in debate, but it's definitely something to be aware of. My only original point was that this was a "rule" on the par with the more traditional things. It was CERTAINLY no reason to demean someone's attempt to help...which is how this all got started.
I never intended to demean anyone and if it came across that way, please accept my apology. I was just trying to share information, ideas I learned long ago in a B.F.A. program at the College of Charleston. That Arnheim's main work from 1954 was available on Amazon with a lot of current reviews was my poor attempt to show it wasn't unknown and still relevant.

On a personally positive note, it prompted me to buy a used copy of the book from Amazon, the 1974 revision. I think re-reading it will help improve my own work.