Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2014, 03:46 PM   #1

Monochrome stuff
Lens: SMC Pentax 55mm F2 Camera: Pentax K5ii Photo Location: In and around LA ISO: 800 Aperture: F2 

I took this at Union station.

08-31-2014, 01:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Good shot but I would suggest that the area on the left is too dark to be of any use and distracts. can I suggest cropping the photoso that the figure is on the left third linethat way they would be the focus of the shot and the out of focus man and the bike would balance her on the right of the picture. Nice clear shot though, particularly when the lighting would have made it difficult. Good job
08-31-2014, 03:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
slavishly following rules of composition makes for boring images
08-31-2014, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Imageman, I don't believe that following rules that have been proven to stand the test of time could be counted as "slavishly", and I would be one of the first to try something new. However in this case I believe that it would work, and that moving the central figure to one side would enhance the image. Moving the figure right would leave the dark section, so I would propose moving the figure left to keep the man and the bike in the shot.

When it comes down to it that is my opinion, others may share it and other will not. However I would suggest that describing a comment intended to offer feedback as "boring" is unproductive and a little rude......

08-31-2014, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
After checking your album, I now understand why you're an expert on what makes boring images. However, as Liney more politely pointed out...there are reasons why those rules came into being. It is because they work 90% of the time. And if a person understands how to use them effectively, they can improve the communication power of their images. I think there's a lot of interesting things going on in kxjiru's image, but I don't think they're harnessed right. My biggest problems are how centered the main subject is and how much head-room she has. There seems to be no direct reason for either. One of the "slavish" rules of composition is that our eyes are drawn to the brightest spot in a composition. That top highlight is really trying to keep people from looking at the girl. Removing it allows the eye to roam more freely. Or...if that's too much PhotoShop for your street photography, you could use that highlight. Maybe tone it down a bit, crop the image into a slight vertical of the girl, the top highlight, and the row of highlights on the left, creating a triangle...which is again one of those slavish composition rules. Or, you could leave the image "as is" with an intention of making it somewhat unsettling. But it should be pointed out that the reason it would be unsettling is because it's breaking several of the rules of composition. That's what I meant earlier about understanding the rules and how they affect our viewing of images.
08-31-2014, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Which is just another one of those thought terminating categorical clichés also.

Last edited by wildman; 08-31-2014 at 05:40 AM.
08-31-2014, 06:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Possibly something like this?....

Last edited by wildman; 09-19-2014 at 12:22 AM.
08-31-2014, 06:50 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Which is just another one of those thought terminating categorical clichés also.
True!

---------- Post added 08-31-2014 at 08:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Possibly something like this?....
I like that better. Keeps the sense of the environment, but crops out some of the distracting elements. I liked the 3 repeating columns of light on the right, but when I was experimenting with cropping the image, I couldn't figure out how to keep them and still make an effect arrangement of the key elements.
08-31-2014, 10:18 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
True!

---------- Post added 08-31-2014 at 08:52 AM ----------

I like that better. Keeps the sense of the environment, but crops out some of the distracting elements. I liked the 3 repeating columns of light on the right, but when I was experimenting with cropping the image, I couldn't figure out how to keep them and still make an effect arrangement of the key elements.
Yea, I was thinking the same thing...

... full frame, got rid of some of the clutter, opened up midrange just a bit which made it less muddy.......

Last edited by wildman; 09-19-2014 at 12:22 AM.
09-01-2014, 01:07 AM   #10

Original Poster
I was walking backward at the time trying to keep focus. Which was hard since I was backing against the flow of foot traffic. But wow. Thank you for all the critiques and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
09-01-2014, 02:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

kxjiru,

Well you certainly know how to spark a discussion!

I like both of the edits, but I find in both shots that my eye is now attracted to the brightest spot which is now her left ear. Not a bad thing, but it's interesting how each interpretation puts a different slant on the image.

I wondered for a moment how it would look if you cropped the image so that the girl was in the bottom left hand corner, and you couldn't see her camera. All you would see is her figure with downcast eyes, and a man in the background walking away. What story would that tell?

Perhaps it's a topic for a competition, give everyone the same shot and see how they edit it to produce a different effect...

kxjiru, you took a good shot which could be interpreted in so many ways. Keep up the good work.
09-01-2014, 01:36 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Im surprised to get some of these reactions, I see people following rules for their own sake, and that's not good, I also see good images that follow rules, I have seen rules used to try to turn a bad image into a good one with the idea that following rules is the "secret" to a good image.

Some of you think my opinions are poor, I don't care for personal attacks or the people who make them to be honest so I wont be attacking your image making in response.

We are here to grow, and if I am a worthless photographer I hope to improve and hope to get some assistance, not some kind of fight.

I repeat again, slavishly following rules of composition makes for boring images. Interesting images can follow rules of composition agreed, the rules in themselves don't make an image good.

I like the image as it originally was. For me theres a context in the background that the crops lose. The subject is relating to the objects in the background, but thats a personal view, it might be better cropped to be in the thirds and that's good, also the photographer has a concept that may be better stated cropped that way. It just seems to be alive in its original form.
09-01-2014, 04:08 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Liney Quote
kxjiru,

Well you certainly know how to spark a discussion!

I like both of the edits, but I find in both shots that my eye is now attracted to the brightest spot which is now her left ear. Not a bad thing, but it's interesting how each interpretation puts a different slant on the image.

I wondered for a moment how it would look if you cropped the image so that the girl was in the bottom left hand corner, and you couldn't see her camera. All you would see is her figure with downcast eyes, and a man in the background walking away. What story would that tell?

Perhaps it's a topic for a competition, give everyone the same shot and see how they edit it to produce a different effect...

kxjiru, you took a good shot which could be interpreted in so many ways. Keep up the good work.
Thank you. Personally I never saw the different interpretations, so this was a GREAT eye opener.

---------- Post added 09-01-14 at 04:09 PM ----------

Im surprised to get some of these reactions, I see people following rules for their own sake, and that's not good, I also see good images that follow rules, I have seen rules used to try to turn a bad image into a good one with the idea that following rules is the "secret" to a good image.

Some of you think my opinions are poor, I don't care for personal attacks or the people who make them to be honest so I wont be attacking your image making in response.

We are here to grow, and if I am a worthless photographer I hope to improve and hope to get some assistance, not some kind of fight.

I repeat again, slavishly following rules of composition makes for boring images. Interesting images can follow rules of composition agreed, the rules in themselves don't make an image good.

I like the image as it originally was. For me theres a context in the background that the crops lose. The subject is relating to the objects in the background, but thats a personal view, it might be better cropped to be in the thirds and that's good, also the photographer has a concept that may be better stated cropped that way. It just seems to be alive in its original form.

I don't think you're a worthless photographer and I thank you for your opinion and critique.
09-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #14

I love the crop, makes the background very complimentary - IMO its the best part of the bokeh.

Union Station Chicago? I'm in Chi, maybe we can get together and take some shots?
09-01-2014, 05:25 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CrankyElbow Quote
I love the crop, makes the background very complimentary - IMO its the best part of the bokeh.

Union Station Chicago? I'm in Chi, maybe we can get together and take some shots?
I wish! I'd love to meet up and shoot but unfortunately it's Union Station Los Angeles.