Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-22-2014, 07:52 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
First B&W attempt
Lens: Super Takumar 50mm f/1.4 Camera: Canon Rebel SL1 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F1.4 

Yep, I cheated on Pentax this time because my K200D's CCD is not really good for low ISO. I got pretty bad CA, and decided to go B&W instead.
Black and white is not easy as it seems.
So, what do you think? After experimenting I used LR Creamtone, adjusted exposure, shadow and contrast for the final look.

IMG_9373-4

08-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
Black and white is not easy as it seems.
Truer words were never spoken. No, there's nothing "easy" about good B&W images. They involve an entirely different set of considerations than color photography. In this image, the cat blends in too much with its background for my tastes. "As is", I think you have too much of a merge between the tones of the cat and the tones of the background. I think some serious post-processing would help you get where you want to go.
08-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
"As is", I think you have too much of a merge between the tones of the cat and the tones of the background. I think some serious post-processing would help you get where you want to go.
That's mainly because she is almost the same tone as chair. I will play with the image more. Can you recommend some book about b&w photography? In LR I discovered so many options to change b&w image drastically in too many ways. I mean too many, and I got lost what direction would be the best.
I'm not even sure I'm ready to enter b&w photography now.
08-24-2014, 07:24 PM   #4

"Yep, I cheated." I love that. I have cheated on a few photos in the past when it comes to low light and clients that wanted no flash photography. We tell them that it adds to the drama, lol—but this is not the whole lie, if you will. It does add a little drama, and even a little intimacy in this case. I think what you have here, when it comes to a difficult shot to capture, is that of a cat. I have tried many times to capture my feline friend in the way that you have, but have failed every time.

First, the good: I like the tone of the picture. You didn't go overboard with the contrast and tone adjustment, and the end result was a very soft and genuine look, to compliment the soft kitty :-)

The bad: I agree that the subject and background merge, but only slightly. I think this would be an easy fix, but simply playing with each individual color tone, or maybe even the luminance within each tone, to pull the kitty out a little. Just don't go overboard.

Overall a decent shot, and better than I have been able to achieve thus far.

08-25-2014, 05:45 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgblodgett Quote
The bad: I agree that the subject and background merge, but only slightly. I think this would be an easy fix, but simply playing with each individual color tone, or maybe even the luminance within each tone, to pull the kitty out a little. Just don't go overboard.
Thank you. First, I should go ahead and use higher number of ISO, but I picked up a bad habit with old Pentax not to do so. It would be easier to separate the background from cat. By the way, she got into modeling, believe or not, so she gives me moments for focusing. All I need is to be nice to her and don't annoy her too much with catosessions.

I apologize for cats portraits so often, it's only because this is the live model without any privacy concerns I have. Sometimes I think that after feline subjects entering into people portraits will be a piece of cake. Maybe only kids can be worse that felines. And oh, dogs. They want to socialize with the camera all the time.

Now, playing with individual color tones. There are so many of variations, not talking about luminance adjusting for each colors. I'm lost so far there, and kill so much time adjusting one picture over and over, trying to find some rules if they do exist. How did you lean b&w photography? Simply experimenting?
B&W can change image mood drastically. And somehow it depends on colors of image. I mean sometimes blue filter is great, sometimes red, or green. Trying all of them is the only way, or there are some rules?
08-25-2014, 07:16 AM   #6

Now, playing with individual color tones. There are so many of variations, not talking about luminance adjusting for each colors. I'm lost so far there, and kill so much time adjusting one picture over and over, trying to find some rules if they do exist. How did you lean b&w photography? Simply experimenting? B&W can change image mood drastically. And somehow it depends on colors of image. I mean sometimes blue filter is great, sometimes red, or green. Trying all of them is the only way, or there are some rules?
That's how I learned anyway. I have done a lot of experimenting and taken quite a few classes on adding drama to B&W through burning and dodging the photos. But the main thing, for me anyway, is simply feeling that the photo might benefit from a mood change and so I turn it to B&W and play with the tones a little in Bridge. If it works and actually brings something more to the photo I run with it. If not, I keep the color. I am a huge fan of B&W, and if it wasn't for clients always wanting color I would probably shoot that exclusively. Just really like the mood as you said, but also the textures that a B&W rendition can bring out of a portrait.
08-25-2014, 08:30 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgblodgett Quote
That's how I learned anyway. I have done a lot of experimenting and taken quite a few classes on adding drama to B&W through burning and dodging the photos. But the main thing, for me anyway, is simply feeling that the photo might benefit from a mood change and so I turn it to B&W and play with the tones a little in Bridge.
Seems like I step in that path of experimenting. And you are so right about mood change. Also, some old lenses "ask" for b&w transformation sometimes. First I was not impressed with SuperTak 50mm f/1.4 at all. Now it will the main lens for b&w learning. It's somehow special lens, I can not explain why, just feel it. It' not about bokeh only.

08-25-2014, 10:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If the chair's color actually differs from the cat's one, try playing with the black and white mix in Lightroom. You can potentially change the entire background into a lighter/darker grey based on its color, while keeping the cat unchanged.
08-27-2014, 06:58 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
How about this b&w? Not the subject (cropped how I could), but editing? Any right direction?

08-27-2014, 07:26 AM   #10

I like it!! Only thing is I would like to see more of the picture to the right, so the cat does not feel so boxed in, and we can see a little more leading off the right of the shot.
08-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

How about this b&w? Not the subject (cropped how I could), but editing? Any right direction?
I, too, would like some space to the right.

As for processing, I tend to like a bit more contrast, but that's highly subjective, and depending on what you want the picture to say.

A side track, perhaps, but I find Nik Silver Efex very nice for b&w conversions.
08-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Now you will see why I cropped that pic. Nothing special, I just practice b&w with appropriate subject The cat on the right has different tone and texture fur. I guess I need to adjust his tones separately somehow.

08-28-2014, 07:07 AM   #13

I think the tone is fine. And I like the shot with the face-off, lol. Its good. Maybe just a contrast adjustment as another commenter stated.
08-29-2014, 07:40 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So many ways of editing b&w are blowing my mind away. Last time, guys. What's about this one? I think it's overdone somehow.

08-29-2014, 09:29 PM   #15

I really like that first pic - the background/cat merge quite well, with some added interest from the right. I like this image, by far, the best of the ones posted in this thread.