Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Sugar free...

A testing whit a light box handmade by me...
Just three lamps low energy and a few sheets of tracing paper for diffuse the light...

Can i have your advice about it ?
Tks.
KalOO

Last edited by KalOO; 05-10-2008 at 11:39 AM.
05-14-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No advice ??? Maybe it's not a good place for packshot ??

Bye.
KalOO
05-14-2008, 09:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kaloo,

What were you trying to accomplish with this photograph?

The lighting looks great if you were trying to accomplish a shadow-free product shot.

However, if you were trying to get someones attention, been there, done that!

Sorry if the criticism is harsh, bu that is the way advertising goes.

Ray
05-15-2008, 04:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pascal, sorry I missed this thread - sometimes it happens.
Anyway, I think you did a great job especially given that the coke cans are highly reflective.
This might be 'old-hat' for some people but there are new-comers here every day. I for one would love to see the details of your set-up as well as what lights you used.

Well done and thanks for sharing.

05-15-2008, 04:09 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
[QUOTE=JCSullivan;243169]Pascal, sorry I missed this thread - sometimes it happens.
Anyway, I think you did a great job especially given that the coke cans are highly reflective.
This might be 'old-hat' for some people but there are new-comers here every day. I for one would love to see the details of your set-up as well as what lights you used.

Well done and thanks for sharing.[/QUOTE

I have to agree with JC . You did a very good job on this and should be very happy with the results, I like the advertising ploy it is effective and well thought out. Your lighting is just right for the shot. Congrats again.
05-15-2008, 04:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with Photo Tramp and JC. It's a very good shot and well lit also. Cool PP work afterward as well.

I like the homemade lightboxes because you can do so much to change the colour inside and modify the box to suit the situation. Or build another one for $2.00 if needed. I doesn't matter that this has been done before as this is a learning process and we all need to experiment to get better and try new ideas. If you take the attitude that "been there done that" in photography, we may as well sell our cameras. Every colour of roses has been already shot and all the birds, bees, trees and buildings etc. It's the experimenting that sheds a new perspective or light on the subject, making it always worth the effort.

You said that 3 lights were used? I'm assuming one each on the left and right and the 3rd from above or behind? I have a small suggestion. Since this is a homemade lightbox you can make modifications to it. Add another piece of white paper to the front and cut a hole for the lens. If you look at the can on the right, the front edge where the "Coke" name is is darker than the rest of the can. There isn't as much light there and there's a shadow making it dark. If you shoot through a front "window" the light inside the box will reflect back on the front of the object. Plus it keeps the refections of other things off the can's surface (which is there on the front edge)

Last edited by Peter Zack; 05-15-2008 at 04:31 AM.
05-15-2008, 04:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Quite animated and comical. Artistic as well. A great sense of humour imbued in the shot.

05-15-2008, 04:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

One other thing I notice is that the can has not yet been opened - on purpose?
05-15-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
No JC, it was opening but the métal part of top is like that after my my foot on the top.

Tkanks everybody for your advice and critical

I'll try to expose to you the pictures of the light box

Tks
05-15-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Merci de vos passage et de vos avis, faute de tuto pour le moment je vous post un aperçu de ce que je devrais appelé "pont à lumière" plutôt que "boîte à lumière". En effet, il s'agit d'un arche en contre-plaqué sur lequel j'ai fais trois trous à la scie cloche et j'ai installé douilles et ampoules basse conso de 20 watts chacune. Pour diffuser au max la lumière et diminuer les ombres, j'ai confectionné 3 cadres en CP de 5 m/m sur lesquels j'ai collé des feuilles de calque. Le tout est démontable en 2 minutes et le coût global est compris ente 30 et 40 Euros (en fonction du matos qui traîne déjà à la maison !!!) Les cadres de calques sont modulables et en faisant plus de trous dans l'arche on peu, soit ajouter des lampes, soit déplacer les lampes aux emplacements souhaités...

Thank you for your move and your opinion, lack of tutorial for the time being I will post an overview of what I should be called "bridge to light" rather than "light box". Indeed, it is an arch-plated against which I do three holes saw the bell and have installed low-energy light bulbs and sockets to consumption of 20 watts each. To disseminate the max light and reduce the shadows, I made up 3 frames CP 5 m / m on which I pasted sheets layer. Everything is removable in 2 minutes and the overall cost is included ente 30 and 40 Euros (depending on which gear already behind at home!) Executives layers are flexible and making more holes in the ark on little or add lights, or move lamps to use them ...

Les photos ont étés prisent dans l'obscurité avec un compact, donc pas glop mais ça donne une idée du truc...

The photos were taken in darkness with a compact, therefore not good but it gives an idea of trick ...

Pour info, une photo brute de capteur. Ni recadrage, pas encore redressée, rien du tout...

For info, a photo sensor gross. Neither crop, not yet recovered, nothing at all ...

05-16-2008, 04:41 AM   #11
Veteran Member

For a title like Sugar-free, this is certainly a sweet setup.

Thanks Pascal for taking time to show us your setup - excellent. And also for taking time to do it bi-lingually, that is appreciated.

I know I am putting you to extra work with extra questions, hope you don't mind.

At the back, is that paper or cloth muslin?
I also see a laptop, is this connected to the camera?

Note to others: Can one connect a istD to a laptop?
05-16-2008, 10:14 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
For a title like Sugar-free, this is certainly a sweet setup.

Thanks Pascal for taking time to show us your setup - excellent. And also for taking time to do it bi-lingually, that is appreciated.

I know I am putting you to extra work with extra questions, hope you don't mind.

At the back, is that paper or cloth muslin?

Le grand rouleau c'est de la nappe en papier mais sous les lunettes de soleil il sagit d'un feuille de papier à dessin...

The big one is a roll of paper tablecloth but just under the sunglasses, it's a sheet of draw paper...

I also see a laptop, is this connected to the camera?

Non, mais c'est pratique d'avoir le portable près du mini studio.

No but it's easy to have a laptop near my "small studio"

Note to others: Can one connect a istD to a laptop?

I dont now... Sorry.
KalOO
« Gauge | Taffy »