Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2014, 07:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Black Grids
Lens: Pentax-A 50mm F/1.7 Camera: Pentax K-50 Photo Location: Seattle, WA 

Hello all,

I've just started doing a bit of grayscale photos. Sometimes, I see special features of an object (or in this case, buildings) that I'd like to emphasize using the contrast of black and white. Here are my latest 4 photos taken today. I took the photos in raw images and post-processed them in Lightroom. Mainly, I turned the blue in each photo into either bright or dark gray.

Feedback and critiques are welcomed!

Last edited by whk1992; 08-25-2014 at 10:32 PM. Reason: Update photo
08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #2
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
On a phpne, so not super easy to pick out details - but i love the first two shots. Great contrast in boyth of them. Third shot doesn't grab me (though i like the shapes), and the composition on the 4th doesnt grab me like the first two. What lens? Settings? Pretty cool stuff 😉
08-25-2014, 10:42 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice work, what are the reflections in #2? That is my most favorite of your shots, all are very nice.
08-25-2014, 10:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Ahh, the Darth Vader period of Seattle architecture.
I think the first one is the most creative with a striking overlay of gridded forms. I like how the right side allows the top of Columbia Center (though as an old-timer, I guess, I still call it Selig's tower) to emerge. Nice job.

The third and fourth are unchallenging crops, and the second one has been taken by lots of shooters including me.

M

08-25-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
On a phpne, so not super easy to pick out details - but i love the first two shots. Great contrast in boyth of them. Third shot doesn't grab me (though i like the shapes), and the composition on the 4th doesnt grab me like the first two. What lens? Settings? Pretty cool stuff 😉
Indeed, the first two are my favorite of the day. On the third one, I was attempting to create contrast between clouds in the reflection and the surrounding clear sky. Last one was a practice of the playing with tone curve. I decided to include all four photos here anyway.

Captured with my new Pentax K-50 and Pentax-A 50/1.7. I love the optical viewfinder! Coming from using a compact camera to DSLR, a viewfinder helps a lot when I aim at the sky or bright lights.
On the K-50, I was using Av mode, Custom Image = Bright; Raw image output. Post-processed in Lightroom; I mainly swapped the blue tone in the sky and reflections with either light or dark grey to bring the building up.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxpixie Quote
Nice work, what are the reflections in #2? That is my most favorite of your shots, all are very nice.
Thank you! On the building, every other row is a reflective glazing which shows clouds in the sky; the matte cladding was bouncing sunlight into my lens

---------- Post added 08-25-14 at 10:58 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Ahh, the Darth Vader period of Seattle architecture.
I think the first one is the most creative with a striking overlay of gridded forms. I like how the right side allows the top of Columbia Center (though as an old-timer, I guess, I still call it Selig's tower) to emerge. Nice job.

The third and fourth are unchallenging crops, and the second one has been taken by lots of shooters including me.

M
Go Hawks!

Thanks for the comment. The last two photos were taking in Bellevue. Apparently, Downtown Seattle is cooler than Bellevue!
08-31-2014, 01:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm taken with number 2 and number 4, the perspective and contrasts make them eye catching and interesting to study. My only real suggestion would be to crop the top left corner of number 2 and remove the reflectino which appears to be curves rather than lines. It kind of spoils the overall image for me, but that's just my thought
08-31-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by whk1992 Quote
Indeed, the first two are my favorite of the day.
I love how graphic all these images are, but the first two are the ones I had the most problem with. They both feature very strong leading lines that take the eye to....what? Black in one pic and white in the other. Neither of which really has anything to do with the point of the photograph, ya know? Maybe I'm wrong, but these photos seem to want to show me the very graphic nature of these buildings...and that's a very appealing aspect, IMHO. But the composition tells my eye to slide right over it and run out of the frame. I would experiment a bit more with the cropping if these were my pics.