Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-10-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

A few from Mystic Seaport...

Again, any advice on these or how to shoot these different is always appreciated...
iso400, 1/250th f10

iso400, 1/350th f10

iso400, 1/250th f6.7

iso400, 1/8th f4.5

iso400, 1/8th f10

Last edited by lodi781; 05-10-2008 at 09:53 PM.
05-10-2008, 08:55 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It would help if you gave out the info on the pics; lens, shutter speed, f no. etc.
Looks like your focus point was off a bit on some of them.
I like 4 and 5 though.
05-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
thought it was in the exif..the info is above each picture
05-11-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
thought it was in the exif..the info is above each picture
Sorry, I'm tired, couldn't see for looking.
Here's my thoughts hope they are of help, I am still a novice but it has been an interesting exercise for me, thank you;
1st Pic; Maybe a different angle so the pier didn't interfere with the anchor.
2nd & 3rd Pic; Sorry, they just didn't interest me and I don't know how they could have been better.
4th Pic; I liked this one but it's hard to tell which mast you were focusing on, the rearmost mast is sharper but it seems like you wanted to focus on the foremost mast.
5th Pic; Liked this one too but I think it would have been better if you were straighter on to the spools then you could have tried different focal points to see which gave the most interesting image.
6th Pic; Maybe a crop like this.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
05-11-2008, 04:10 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Re; Mystic Seaport

Looks like an interesting place.
Picture 5 interests me as I spent some years on rope making and rigging. That looks like a creel for a strander, full of natural fibre yarn.
I think in a place like that you need to think about using the highest Iso settings, allowing you to use f8~f11 for greater depth of field, pick your point of focus carefully to maximise sharpness throughout the scene.
In a nutshell think aperture priority and focal point.
Hope this helps.
05-11-2008, 07:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard F Quote
Looks like an interesting place.
Picture 5 interests me as I spent some years on rope making and rigging. That looks like a creel for a strander, full of natural fibre yarn.
I think in a place like that you need to think about using the highest Iso settings, allowing you to use f8~f11 for greater depth of field, pick your point of focus carefully to maximise sharpness throughout the scene.
In a nutshell think aperture priority and focal point.
Hope this helps.
IT's a really interesting place, it has an aquarium as well. These pics were actually taken in the end of feb before I started shooting in raw......How high would you go on an iso here? Also, ( being new to this) iso directly correlates to f-stop DOF? Is there some kind of chart I can find to help me with this? Right now, I tend to rely on the over/under exposure meter on the camera. I understand shutter speed fine. F-stops, kind of. Is it the higher the number the less DOF you get? But iso I thought had soley to do with light and time of day.......
05-11-2008, 07:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lodi781 Quote
Again, any advice on these or how to shoot these different is always appreciated...
iso400, 1/250th f10

i have the same shot in sepia.

I think I wouldve framed it a bit differently, and perhaps, a narrower DOF, perhaps f/16.....

i like #5 a lot.
Great balance of light, and shadow...a bit of photoshop trickery would bring that out a lot.
selective coloring?....perhaps, b/w everything but the window..or the sack......

lucky, you got clear skies. when I went in Jan, it was very overcast. still got some decent shots tho...

Last edited by -=JoN=-; 05-11-2008 at 07:45 AM.
05-11-2008, 08:27 AM   #8
Forum Member

With f stops the higher the number the smaller the aperture, the smaller the aperture the longer the shutter must be open to allow the light in.
the smaller apertures give greater depth of field.
I'm sure there are depth of field charts online somewhere, but remember they vary with lens length and sensor/film size.
The advantage of digital is that we can change the Iso.
A useful way of working with low light shots without a tripod is to set the f-stop and point of focus first and adjust the shutter speed to suit. (aperture priority or Av) If that is slow enough for camera shake then increase the Iso to give you a speed that you are confident with.
I hope that helps.
05-11-2008, 11:58 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Richard F Quote
With f stops the higher the number the smaller the aperture, the smaller the aperture the longer the shutter must be open to allow the light in.
the smaller apertures give greater depth of field.
I'm sure there are depth of field charts online somewhere, but remember they vary with lens length and sensor/film size.
The advantage of digital is that we can change the Iso.
A useful way of working with low light shots without a tripod is to set the f-stop and point of focus first and adjust the shutter speed to suit. (aperture priority or Av) If that is slow enough for camera shake then increase the Iso to give you a speed that you are confident with.
I hope that helps.
OK, got it.... I just haven't been getting out enough with my camera and I find myself always thinking " OK, smaller apt, more DOF, no..wait" thanks for the reminder.......
05-11-2008, 12:45 PM   #10
Forum Member

Here's a result of my d.o.f. experiment when I was trying out the 18~55mm lens. It was at 18mm, f8.

Last edited by Richard F; 07-26-2008 at 02:31 PM.