Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2014, 09:59 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Surface of the battle.
Lens: Yashinon Camera: Yashica Mat EM ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F6.7 

I understand that bright and sharp background is very strong destruction but hope that point of interest is strong enough to drag your attention back.
Cheers

Last edited by pavpen; 09-06-2014 at 08:05 PM.
09-05-2014, 07:57 AM   #2
Closed Account

I think the main draw here is the cobblestone uprising on each side. You could crop away the foreground (where the actual root is exposed) to bring the viewer in closer, and then make the cobblestones pop with some PP work. For me, I agree that despite the bright end of the tunnel factor, my eyes quickly return to the sides, especially the left. The downtown area of the town I grew up in has these streets everywhere (protected landmark), and a buddy of mine lives on one of the worst. Can't believe he drives on it everyday. Their sidewalk is mission impossible for a stroller -- lol
09-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My point of interest there is front. It bring memories of roads from my childhood.
09-05-2014, 01:45 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually think the brighter area at the back does a good job of focusing us on the cobblestones. Nice pic!

09-06-2014, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
I think the main draw here is the cobblestone uprising on each side. You could crop away the foreground (where the actual root is exposed) to bring the viewer in closer, and then make the cobblestones pop with some PP work. For me, I agree that despite the bright end of the tunnel factor, my eyes quickly return to the sides, especially the left. The downtown area of the town I grew up in has these streets everywhere (protected landmark), and a buddy of mine lives on one of the worst. Can't believe he drives on it everyday. Their sidewalk is mission impossible for a stroller -- lol
Thank you esrandall. Your version with less foreground and less fence looks better.

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
My point of interest there is front. It bring memories of roads from my childhood.
I glad you like it.

QuoteOriginally posted by Roypercy Quote
I actually think the brighter area at the back does a good job of focusing us on the cobblestones. Nice pic!
Thank you Roypercy.
09-06-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
Brooke Meyer

Maybe like this. Easy to reduce contrast, maybe like a shaded street, a softer, less harsh feeling of being alone on a quiet street. I cropped out a little bit of foreground. It looks a little like Charleston, SC.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 12-03-2014 at 09:08 PM.
09-06-2014, 09:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Of course, the leading lines draw the viewer into the scene, but to me it immediately drew my attention the the left turn arrow. It was as if it was saying, "No.... this is as far as you can go in this direction.... you must go THIS way now!" This in turn made me want to go to the RIGHT! It made me wonder why I must go to the left. What was it that they didn't want me to see on the right? I very intriguing photograph. I like pictures like this that spurs my imagination. I agree with the idea of perhaps cropping a little of the foreground.... but only the very blurry, severly out of focus area. And, maybe (lower case maybe) also the slight overall darkening, but by doing so, it lessens the impact of the left turn arrow.... and that, to me is a very important aspect of the photo. Perhaps THE MOST IMPORTANT one!

I like it. I like it a lot. Very good subject matter, very good focus. It contains many of the basics of a good photograph.

Dewman
SW Idaho

09-08-2014, 04:07 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Perhaps?.......................

Last edited by wildman; 09-14-2014 at 03:22 AM.
09-08-2014, 06:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote

I was thinking more like this. Use the cobblestone walkway as a leading line toward the upper left quadrant..... and the left turn arrow that captures my imagination so much. Slightly darker with a little less contrast and cropping a bare minimum from the OOF foreground.

Just my thoughts, but it's a great photo that really has a lot going for it. I'm sure there are many different ways to approach it, especially if one isn't as drawn to the left turn arrow that I seem to be fixated on.

Dewman
SW Idaho

Last edited by Dewman; 03-25-2015 at 04:35 PM.
09-08-2014, 08:46 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Maybe like this. Easy to reduce contrast, maybe like a shaded street, a softer, less harsh feeling of being alone on a quiet street. I cropped out a little bit of foreground. It looks a little like Charleston, SC.
Thank you Brook Meyer. Very interesting processing. It started to resemble painting.

---------- Post added 09-08-14 at 11:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
Of course, the leading lines draw the viewer into the scene, but to me it immediately drew my attention the the left turn arrow. It was as if it was saying, "No.... this is as far as you can go in this direction.... you must go THIS way now!" This in turn made me want to go to the RIGHT! It made me wonder why I must go to the left. What was it that they didn't want me to see on the right? I very intriguing photograph. I like pictures like this that spurs my imagination. I agree with the idea of perhaps cropping a little of the foreground.... but only the very blurry, severly out of focus area. And, maybe (lower case maybe) also the slight overall darkening, but by doing so, it lessens the impact of the left turn arrow.... and that, to me is a very important aspect of the photo. Perhaps THE MOST IMPORTANT one!

I like it. I like it a lot. Very good subject matter, very good focus. It contains many of the basics of a good photograph.

Dewman
SW Idaho
Thank you Dewman for your feedback.
09-08-2014, 09:00 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wildman, I really like the changes you made in respect to the added detail in the bricks in the far wall.... AND.... AND, the sign that says "NO." It follows my train of thought as to being denied access to that area.... and my natural tendencies to "go against the grain," so to speak.

Maybe YOU'RE PPing, and MY cropping?

Just a thought. Nonetheless, I really like the photo. Lots of food for thought in it. I really like and appreciate such photos. Much more so than the mundane, ho-hum stuff we're far-to-often bombarded with.

Dewman
SW Idaho
09-08-2014, 09:05 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You made interesting angle that brings viewer closer to most bulging part of sidewalk but in the same time increase of "weight" of background.
09-09-2014, 08:26 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote

Just a thought. Nonetheless, I really like the photo. Lots of food for thought in it. I really like and appreciate such photos. Much more so than the mundane, ho-hum stuff we're far-to-often bombarded with.

Dewman
SW Idaho
I glad you like this pic.
09-09-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

excellent photo, The crop without the oof stuff in front fits my monitor much better.
09-10-2014, 09:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DeepThrob Quote
excellent photo, The crop without the oof stuff in front fits my monitor much better.
Thank you DeepThrob.