Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-13-2014, 02:54 PM   #1
Forum Member

Need help adjust portraits, please
Lens: FA 50mm 1.4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: park ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F3.2 

I am not proud of these photos, I am still practicing. I've taken much better but I would still like to fix them. I have LR5 and PS5. Adjusted the wb, softened skin, whitened the eye but I still think they look odd. On the 2nd photo the green was really a bright green so I put a haze over it, maybe that looks weird too. I've just been looking at these photos too long. Any help would be appreciated. I will master this!

WHOA the coloring on the left one looks really messed up once I uploaded it.

Please look at these photos and not the ones I uploaded to the thread http://juliabelle.pass.us/needhelp/

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   

Last edited by julbelle; 09-14-2014 at 09:26 AM.
09-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
These are images that show the subjects as spontaneous and comfortable with your presence, so you as the photographer are not intruding into these images. They're probably family or friends, so that would be expected, but it's important that you don't inrude because it allows them to be themselves. The colours on the image at left are strange, not sure why, but it may be due to the colour space you used for the export to jpg. There is not sufficient light is on the woman's face, and the image would be so much more interesting if her eyes were open. Were the originals RAW files? The light on the right-hand image is great, a very happy, warm summer tone. I really like the haze treatment you put over it. Sharpness is an issue in both images, especially in the one on the right, where subject movement may have caught you out, although 400 ISO and f3.2 should be plenty on a summer day to capture movement. I'd decrease the aperture for images where subjects are not frozen in the same space, just to increase depth of field, but that will also reduce your shutter speed, so it becomes really important to hold the camera steady when pressing the shutter button. The less than stellar sharpness may be camera shake. The angle that you used is good, you seem to be on the same level or slightly higher, but you're not standing upright and shooting down, which can sometimes create an awkward perspective.

Because the cost factor of film and development has been removed from the equation with digital photography, images are essentially free, and for me that means the freedom to take many images. If you take many shots, there should be a few decent ones in a series, and maybe one or two that are really good. I don't mean that you should become a spray and shoot photographer, just that you should feel free to let the shutter fly when you see a good moment through the viewfinder. At the same time, tracking a person through a viewfinder often offers the best opportunity for an excellent shot, so try both approaches. Subjects as comfortable as these two won't mind, I think. The FA 50/1.4 is capable of extremely sharp images, it's a wonderful lens, so you should definitely be able to get very sharp images, especially if you stay away from the maximum aperture, where DOF is very thin.

F3.2 is a good choice, but play around with smaller apertures, and, if the subject is still, move in closer with a bigger aperture and make sure the nearest eye is sharp. Keep shooting, and never stop asking for feedback, as it tells me you care about your growth as a photographer.

Last edited by demondata; 09-13-2014 at 06:17 PM.
09-13-2014, 03:36 PM   #3

what don't you like? what do you find odd, exactly? posting the untouched pictures would help
09-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alcazar Quote
what don't you like? what do you find odd, exactly? posting the untouched pictures would help
Ditto.

09-13-2014, 04:35 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for te feedback. When I get home I'll post a link orig and edited photos. This first photo does not look like the same on my screen.

Yes I was at there level. I only know the mom through a FB friend. This was the first time I had met them. The little guy didn't want anything to do with me so I had to give him a little time to warm up then we started playing games. They were late to the session so we only had about 20-30 min to get photos. I did get some really cute ones that I edited I just really wanted to include these in her collection.
09-13-2014, 09:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Update with link

Photos have been uploaded to Pass. NeedHelp

These photos were saved for web at 72dpi. 2 of them I like, the 2 in portrait mode I think need some help, well maybe just the one.

Yes these were shot in RAW. If I need to provide any more info, please just let me know. I would really like to get these finished up tomorrow. Thanks So Much!
09-14-2014, 07:39 AM   #7

again, it's hard to help you if you don't write one word about what it is that you don't like.

however, i think the colors seem inconsistent from shot to shot, and the skin tones don't look so healthy. is that what you mean?

i took the liberty to process one the way i think it should look.
greetings, alcazar

Attached Images

09-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by julbelle Quote
Photos have been uploaded to Pass. NeedHelp
I'm confused. You posted first picture here edited taking off natural skin color, right? The same picture from your link (unedited?) looks good, imo.
09-14-2014, 09:26 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
I'm confused. You posted first picture here edited taking off natural skin color, right? The same picture from your link (unedited?) looks good, imo.
That's the problem, I don't know what I don't like about that one photo (the close up one of the mom looking at the son), something is way off and I can't figure it out. The same photo that I uploaded originally on the post is the same photo that is on pass. I'm deleting the photo from this post so please look at the one on pass.
09-14-2014, 09:49 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by julbelle Quote
That's the problem, I don't know what I don't like about that one photo (the close up one of the mom looking at the son), something is way off and I can't figure it out.
May I assume it may be the light and, or tight crop? Maybe, to remove space on the top to balance somehow?
It's still a good picture for memories in family album.
09-14-2014, 03:45 PM   #11

I like this forum because I don't get around to well any more so I get to try to fix other's problems. PS Elements and Topaz and I think your basic photography shows through. I like both pictures
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo   
09-15-2014, 07:38 AM   #12

OOPS! Looking at what I uploaded, I got a tad too much yellow. Take out a little yellow and they look much better. Sorry.
09-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OldGeaser Quote
OOPS! Looking at what I uploaded, I got a tad too much yellow. Take out a little yellow and they look much better. Sorry.
Thanks everyone and OldGeaser! I am still doing free sessions, to get practice and figure out editing. A prof photog friend of mine pointed out that I was forgetting to set my wb. I did that at this past session and I am super excited to edit those phtotos!
09-20-2014, 09:38 PM   #14

I think only the one on the left(in original post) is the one that looks odd. Their skin looks pale and gray. The one on the right actually looks quite nice.
09-25-2014, 02:53 PM - 1 Like   #15
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
The first image has a slight green cast to it, a tweak to the white balance would certainly help.