Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #1
Inactive Account

straight from camera
Lens: 50-200 Camera: pentax k-50 ISO: 200 Aperture: F5.6 

Good day!
This picture is straight from my camera.
I would love to hear your thoughts on it, as I'm still learning!
I don't remember what my shutter speed was at

Attached Images

09-16-2014, 07:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't read the EXIF data from your image here but I'll start with this:
(maybe some people will come in a be able to get the EXIF from your photo??)

1. the bird is underexposed (metering) ... I would use spot metering for that shot. Did you use matrix metering?
There is a bit of backlight and that will fool the metering quite often ... there are ways to get around that too.
2. the bird is out of focus (user error or lens shake) or you moved the camera while using a slow shutter speed.
3. was this shot at 200 mm ?
4. did you use a tripod?
5. do you have the original image, and not cropped? This would actually help a lot?
6. I assume this was a JPEG shot and not RAW?

Now for the good part: I like this image in spite of no. 1 and 2 above !

I'll return later to see if anyone has "taken over"

Cheers!
09-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I don't know what matrix metering is :/
It was taken at 200mm I didn't want to get to close as I have a minor fear of birds
No tripod
This is the original picture not sure why it looks cropped but I haven't touched it, it is straight from my camera
And yes it was jpeg not raw
I have another picture of him I'll post
This one is the same settings just moved back a touch so I wasnt falling down the hill lol
Attached Images

09-17-2014, 05:36 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jade Quote
This is the original picture not sure why it looks cropped but I haven't touched it, it is straight from my camera
it looks cropped because its not the 2:3 aspect ratio that's normal for aspc cameras, the second shot is normal.
spot metering on the bird will expose the bird better but then the highlights in the background may be a problem, its not an easy task to shoot subject against a bright background like that, there are things you can do in PP but that's a whole different conversation. I think the second shot is better because the tail feathers aren't cut off, and with a bit of a crop and some adjustments in PP.
cheers

09-17-2014, 05:40 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Also on the exposure, you can read your histogram, and since the bird is the darkest thing in the image, you need to move the curve to the right, get it near the centre of the histogram window.. the only way to keep your background would be to use HDR, but in this case the background is relatively un-important, I'd just let it get lost in the high lights. Now that little blasted patch on the top of the birds head, that's going to be tricky.

Last edited by normhead; 09-17-2014 at 01:05 PM.
09-17-2014, 12:58 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Other than making the bone-headed mistake of being out of focus that was your first mistake.
At least the OP isn't making redundant sentences.

No need to be so rude with your posts you know, I'm sure you've made the same mistakes when you were new to photography, and probably still do from time to time.
09-17-2014, 01:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No need to be so rude with your posts
That was not my intention and if my post was understood this way the fault is mine and I apologize.

I just assumed I was speaking as one adult to another who wanted my honest opinion. Apparently I failed.

09-17-2014, 03:35 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
If you re read my post it says I'm still learning and in my second picture it says had to move back cause I was falling down a hill.
I know how to shoot raw just choose not to.
I encourage honest feed back how else is one to learn, but there is a right way and a wrong way to give positive feed back.
Thank you for everyone's feed back