Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
09-17-2014, 04:35 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Red Sky at night
Lens: Pentax 17-135 Camera: K50 Photo Location: Port Dalhousie, On ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F9.5 

The sun doesn't normally set behind the Lighthouse, but the clouds give that effect. I took out a sign on the end of the pier.

Last edited by tuggie76; 02-02-2015 at 02:42 PM.
09-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice, you would have to be happy with that.
09-18-2014, 04:01 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
Very nice, you would have to be happy with that.
Thanks, I am, just want to make sure others would be!

Tuggie76
09-19-2014, 01:32 PM   #4

Stunning!! Did you shoot on infinity focus? Even the ship in the background looks crispy clear.

09-20-2014, 07:49 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgblodgett Quote
Stunning!! Did you shoot on infinity focus? Even the ship in the background looks crispy clear.
Thanks JG. I have to admit to not knowing where I focused, probably the lighthouse. I was amazed at how sharp the ship was, and how well Toronto can be seen in the background, it's 35 miles away over Lake Ontario.

Tuggie76
09-22-2014, 01:06 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree. You have got a fine picture alright but It troubles me greatly whenever I see a good image and it is not the best it can be and it gets a lot of likes.

Here we have a picture which is just all read, it is even red where it should not be. The wall of the lighthouse facing away from the light source is
red, (red cast) all parts of the picture are red in various shades when in reality some of them are amber,yellow, grey or even a subtle green like the roof of the light house. The whole picture is cast in a red haze and it is much too dark.

I have just simply colour corrected the image by reducing some of the red. Now you see different shades of red yellow and grey in the clouds. I did
not add these colours I just brought them back, they are really there, the camera recorded all the colours and hues faithfully they just need to be made visible. And now I think you have a fine image. You can still further tweak the shot to your liking but go lightly and don't overdo things as it is done so often.

To the OP, you may not like all the different colours in the sky and that is why you have chosen to make it look like this but if you do I would not know why. What a write here is not meant in any way as an insult, you have a fine image and I am writing to you simply to instill a better sense of colour in you.

Hope we can stay friends.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 11-01-2014 at 04:25 PM.
09-22-2014, 06:07 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Sorry guys, but I have to disagree. You have got a fine picture alright but It troubles me greatly whenever I see a good image and it is not the best it can be and it gets a lot of likes.

Here we have a picture which is just all read, it is even red where it should not be. The wall of the lighthouse facing away from the light source is
red, (red cast) all parts of the picture are red in various shades when in reality some of them are amber,yellow, grey or even a subtle green like the roof of the light house. The whole picture is cast in a red haze and it is much too dark.

I have just simply colour corrected the image by reducing some of the red. Now you see different shades of red yellow and grey in the clouds. I did
not add these colours I just brought them back, they are really there, the camera recorded all the colours and hues faithfully they just need to be made visible. And now I think you have a fine image. You can still further tweak the shot to your liking but go lightly and don't overdo things as it is done so often.

To the OP, you may not like all the different colours in the sky and that is why you have chosen to make it look like this but if you do I would not know why. What a write here is not meant in any way as an insult, you have a fine image and I am writing to you simply to instill a better sense of colour in you.

Greetings
No insult recieved here, I posted it for a critique and that is what I got, with positive results, thank you for your time and effort, I will attepmt to address your modificatations as soon as I can.

Tuggie

09-22-2014, 07:04 AM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

Greetings
Nice corrections. I didn't even notice I guess. Good eye.
09-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #9

I am new to photography but I've been a lifelong artist (drawing and painting). I like both approaches discussed. The vignetting issue seems like a valid technical comment but doesn't the approach to color partially depend on the creative intent and the emotion the photographer wants to communicate? I get a different emotional response from each picture. I like them both, but they are different. Sometimes things look wrong, I get that. But the "red" version doesn't look wrong to me. Instead it conjures up an outdoor version of the feeling I might get from sitting by a fireplace. Comforting somehow. The other one is cooler and I love the contrasts and complementary colours you have created with the oranges and blues, but it creates a different feeling. Just a thought from an artist's perspective.

BTW, kudos on capturing my hometown in this wonderful shot!
09-22-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Closed Account

Photos: Albums
Agreed with John-TO. I think it's in the eye of the beholder, regardless of color accuracy. Both versions look great in their own way. There's a little part of me that sees the lighthouse tipping a bit to the right, but I think it's an optical illusion, as your waterline looks about right. Cool shot for sure
09-22-2014, 01:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
I am new to photography but I've been a lifelong artist (drawing and painting). I like both approaches discussed. The vignetting issue seems like a valid technical comment but doesn't the approach to color partially depend on the creative intent and the emotion the photographer wants to communicate? I get a different emotional response from each picture. I like them both, but they are different. Sometimes things look wrong, I get that. But the "red" version doesn't look wrong to me. Instead it conjures up an outdoor version of the feeling I might get from sitting by a fireplace. Comforting somehow. The other one is cooler and I love the contrasts and complementary colours you have created with the oranges and blues, but it creates a different feeling. Just a thought from an artist's perspective.

BTW, kudos on capturing my hometown in this wonderful shot!
Thanks for your comments John, I take it you mean Toronto in the distance, if the light is right it comes out well.

Tuggie76

---------- Post added 09-22-14 at 04:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by esrandall Quote
Agreed with John-TO. I think it's in the eye of the beholder, regardless of color accuracy. Both versions look great in their own way. There's a little part of me that sees the lighthouse tipping a bit to the right, but I think it's an optical illusion, as your waterline looks about right. Cool shot for sure
Thanks Es, I love the level indicator in live view, I do have a tendancy to skew photos.

Tuggie76
09-22-2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My first thought on seeing the picture was" it's too dark". I think it's best with the lighthouse white and the sky having more than just varying degrees of red. Nice picture, just like it better with more color.
09-22-2014, 09:01 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by John-TO Quote
I am new to photography but I've been a lifelong artist (drawing and painting). I like both approaches discussed. The vignetting issue seems like a valid technical comment but doesn't the approach to color partially depend on the creative intent and the emotion the photographer wants to communicate? I get a different emotional response from each picture. I like them both, but they are different. Sometimes things look wrong, I get that. But the "red" version doesn't look wrong to me. Instead it conjures up an outdoor version of the feeling I might get from sitting by a fireplace. Comforting somehow. The other one is cooler and I love the contrasts and complementary colours you have created with the oranges and blues, but it creates a different feeling. Just a thought from an artist's perspective. BTW, kudos on capturing my hometown in this wonderful shot!
I fully understand what you are saying and it is always a valid point to make. There is one comment I like to make though. If you would want to create a picture which will give you that "outdoor version of the feeling I might get from sitting by a fireplace", I suspect you as an artist would go differently about it. You most likely would not just throw a uniform red colour cast over the whole picture.

As in the OPs picture it looks more like a mistake rather then intent.

Cheers
09-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
Brooke Meyer

Wonderful capture. There re are LOTS of ways to take this. Here's one more suggestion, softened with medium key or compressed value scale and muted colors. I rented a house once, above a cliff looking north across Lake Erie. For a moment or two at sunset, the light is just magic. I'd probably make 3 or 4 proof prints before I got this where I wanted. Hope you have this backed up and hope it was shot in RAW. With the full res image, Id be tempted to carefully remove the far right figure and maybe both. I did take out their stools, they were distracting, didn't add.

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 12-03-2014 at 09:08 PM.
09-23-2014, 05:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

What jumped out at me was the painterly almost Hopperesque feel to it - it's dominated by form and tone (light) not content.
To my eye there is something verging on the abstract about it. Might make a good BW also BTW.

Edward Hopper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Anyway given that, this is my take on it for better or worse.....

Last edited by wildman; 10-06-2014 at 05:00 AM.