Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-27-2014, 07:58 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Niagara Falls illuminated (captured from US side)
Lens: Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 AL WR Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Niagara Falls, NY ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F16 

I am not very well versed with night city-scape photography. I would appreciate any feedback on what and how I could have done better with this pic.

This image was shot at f16, 15 sec, ISO 100 with Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm lens. Increased the contrast a little bit during PP.

Thanks in advance..

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
09-27-2014, 08:41 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice composition. The water looks really smooth thanks to the slow shutter speed, and that really adds to the image. My only critique would be about the sharpness, as the buildings in the background are somewhat unclear. This might be a consequence of the narrow aperture (avoid f16 and f13 when possible) or slight camera shake.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-27-2014, 09:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Very nice composition. The water looks really smooth thanks to the slow shutter speed, and that really adds to the image. My only critique would be about the sharpness, as the buildings in the background are somewhat unclear. This might be a consequence of the narrow aperture (avoid f16 and f13 when possible) or slight camera shake.
Thanks Adam! I captured this picture using a tripod and was using cable release, so like you mentioned, I would assume that f16 may have caused the buildings to be hazy.
10-21-2014, 01:35 PM   #4

I think it must be the water spray particles in the air which made the lights hazy..

11-01-2014, 02:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
you'll have an interesting effect
11-03-2014, 06:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I've been there a couple of times and have seen many postcards and tourist photos before, but none quite like this. You showed the place in a new way, which is not easy considering what a popular destination it is. Well done in making it look magical. Hope you had a fun time
11-04-2014, 12:34 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

It is unlikely you can improve something on this frame...
Maybe, to change the point of shooting or try other lens...
But... foto is not bad!

11-04-2014, 09:29 PM - 1 Like   #8

nice picture, just over exposed on middle of picture is harsh, but at all nice photography and long exposure with kitlens