Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-01-2014, 11:44 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dark seascape
Lens: Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR Camera: Pentax K-01 Photo Location: Italy ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5 

I took this tele landscape just around sunset, wanting to capture the dark clouds and tiny red lighthouse at sea. The lighthouse was periodic, so I had to wait to line up my photo with the red light visible. I generally like these "underexposed" dark landscape photos, but often find viewers having some sort of disdain. I don't understand why. Sure, the photo is minimalistic, but it is such on purpose, to make the viewer feel slightly smaller, slightly unsure. If I crop to make the lighthouse stand out, I lose the sea and sky, which I feel are important in the photo, because the main "point" is not the lighthouse alone, but the whole scene. Maybe these photos would work better as large prints, rather than tiny jpegs?

Lighthouse at sea

10-02-2014, 01:15 PM   #2

I like the clouds+orange+sea contrast. Less is more. And that little light(house), yes I'm feeling it!

But I would crop off the bottom half of the sea, there's too much of it imho

Oh and what are all those things in it? They look interesting, but I have no idea Stones? Floaters?
10-02-2014, 01:55 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! I was trying to keep the ratio roughly according to the rule of thirds. Those floaty things are.. well I don't know! Either they are buoys that guide boats (big port nearby, so little boats can't just go anywhere) or farms for soon-to-be seafood