Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
10-02-2014, 07:11 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
First HDR pics
Lens: Vivitar 28mm F2.8 MC Close Focus Camera: K200D 

These are my first quite succesful HDR pictures.
Stream shots arent 100% real HDR because I took only one pic (2 shots panorama) and under/overexposured that with Rawtherapee and then made it hdr with Luminance HDR software.

What do you think? Any feedback?

Attached Images

10-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Why did you choose to use HDR processing for these shots?

M
10-02-2014, 07:16 AM   #3

Wow, that's some intense texture in those shots.
10-02-2014, 07:17 AM   #4

Original Poster
That is a good question. I don't know.

I just wanted to try it out.

Unfortunately when converted to smaller size I can't get the same sharpness as with original file.

10-02-2014, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Everyone has their own opinion regarding HDR. I like using it when an object (or scene) has a lot of shadow detail that normally would get lost. Here's an image that worked out well for me using HDR: https://500px.com/photo/84128479/intimidation-by-dennis-krebs?from=user_library
10-02-2014, 11:55 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

I think all three scenes are interesting, if a little on the tight side--I think I would like a wider view (some of the tree tops, etc).

As far as HDR goes, or post processing of any sort, if the shot isn't natural looking I have a hard time identifying with it. A little "extra" beyond what the eye can normally pick up, or a little extra color saturation, sharpening, etc. is one thing, but when it's easily identifiable as HDR that's another. In other words--and I hope you take no offense--I generally have a hard time stomaching HDR.

My advice would be to tone it down. But if you like it that's really all that matters.

Something I've found helpful when displaying images on the web is to resize your images before sharpening.
10-02-2014, 12:21 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jukka.O Quote
That is a good question. I don't know.
A solution looking for a problem introduces other problems.

HDR, like other processing techniques, can serve a very legitimate purpose when intended to solve a technical or aesthetic problem that the photographer has identified. When a technique is used for the sake of being used it is perceived as an affectation. It draws attention to itself and often sacrifices the quality of the whole image.

Your second shot I think would look pretty nice without the HDR stuff. Strong framing, and the milky water swirls are just right.

The red house has some interesting framing, and I don't see the value of HDR there. I'd probably crop off another 25% on the left side to better emphasize the texture of the trees and the offset position of the house. The more I look at the shot the more I like it, and I can see where that narrow frame would fit into places on people's walls.

M

10-02-2014, 06:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the effect, though I'd also like to see a comparison of before and after. Still the HDR effect it gives each photo the appearance of a painting, which suits me.
10-03-2014, 04:41 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thank you for great feedback! This is exactly what I was looking for...
But afterall this was just a test to see possible pros/cons about HDR.

I do kinda like the painting feeling of these pics, but I have to admit that these don't look like ''natural''.

In last picture I framed some of the tree tops off because hdr effect kinda ruined them for some reason.

Here are original files and some part of me likes these more and another part of me likes HDR...
Attached Images

10-03-2014, 05:12 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Subjects with a very large dynamic range are the ones where HDR becomes very useful. An example is the interior of a cathedral with bright skylights and deep shadows. Producing a realistic result with HDR is a priority for me, producing a result that doesn't scream HDR.
10-03-2014, 05:31 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I would suggest not doing HDR, but just bumping up the shadows a little. The HDR versions feel a little garish to me, but I guess it depends on what you were shooting for.

These scenes don't feel like they have a huge amount of dynamic range and a single shot with some tweaking would probably be sufficient to me.
10-03-2014, 06:17 AM   #12

Original Poster
Garish, that's the english word what I was looking for when I'm watching these again.
Maybe too much HDR effect for me afterall.

Lots of usefull comments and ideas. Also now I understand better the meaning and possible uses for HDR. Thanks again
Nice thing about photography is that you can always try and learn something new.

PS. Beatiful picture krebsy75
https://500px.com/photo/84128479/intimidation-by-dennis-krebs?from=user_library
10-03-2014, 12:00 PM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks for posting the comparisons, To me, while the non-HDR picture are very accurately done captures of beautiful subjects that present an overall scene and a unified "feeling", the HDR versions call attention to details throughout the picture, my eye is drawn to looking all over to see what ther is to see, not merely to the main subject, the stream or the house.

If you were walking through each of these scenes in real life, you'd notice the overall scene, then details in leaves, moss, the boards of the house, etc, in turn. these particular HDR version give you that feeling even though you are only looking at a picture.

I'd recommend continuing to experiment with this process, HDR doesn't have to be limited to interiors and architecture. thanks to your examples, I am going to try a few HDR nature shots this weekend in The Blue Ridge mountains.