Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2014, 09:37 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Cousin
Lens: Ricoh Rikenon P-50mm f/2 Camera: Pentax K5 Photo Location: Janesville, WI ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F2 

The first one was taken with my Ricoh Rikenon P 50mm f/2 with the following settings:
ISO 80
1/320
f/2

The second one is an HDR taken at -1 -0 +1 EV

And the last one is taken at the following:
ISO 80
1/250
f/2

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-21-2014, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Regarding the first two... her skin tones seem a bit off. Both hands on the first and her right hand on the second have quite a bit of purple in them and doesn't look natural/living. The lightened purple shadow around her left eye in the 2nd picture makes it look like a bruise. There is too much space above her head in the first 2 pictures. Her pose is a bit unnatural too - her body looks uncomfortable. In the 3rd picture, you did a great job with matching the lines of her head/shoulder with the structure above her. I'd like to see a bit of the top cropped off and less cropped off the bottom (dangerously close to cropping off her fingers and it's right on the knee). She's also a little too dark in the 3rd one. Fill flash or a reflector would have been great for these pics.
10-22-2014, 08:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I really appreciate the feedback! I will have to keep that all in mind for the next one that I do, again, I have never really done a lot of portrait work before, so this was all pretty new to me. One thing that make framing difficult was using a manual focus lense, and Pentax cameras with MF lenses (at least the K5 and lower) will only centre focus, I wish this wasn't the case. Or if I could afford a nice Sigma or Pentax FA 50.
10-23-2014, 09:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I really appreciate the feedback! I will have to keep that all in mind for the next one that I do, again, I have never really done a lot of portrait work before, so this was all pretty new to me. One thing that make framing difficult was using a manual focus lense, and Pentax cameras with MF lenses (at least the K5 and lower) will only centre focus, I wish this wasn't the case. Or if I could afford a nice Sigma or Pentax FA 50.
Absolutely. I've done little to no portraits myself. Is there something that is preventing you from focusing and then recomposing?

10-23-2014, 09:08 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi
You've taken some effort to find locations and pose the subject. The first two she seems a little stiff in her pose but that's common unless she's a model and used to posing. In the first two there is way too much space above her head. You manually focused on her face it looks like but didn't recompose afterwards and her face is left dead center. I usually use only a center spot to focus even with autofocus lenses, focus on what I want and then reframe the shot. I like the first shot best, she's attractive and has a nice expression. In the second the arm and hand seem a little more relaxed but I prefer the smile in the first one. I don't think HDR is needed here, the dynamic range isn't too extreme. I think the first one is pretty good with some reworking. First I'd crop down to square format as there's too much dead space above her. I'd crop in a bit on the left side, there is a thin strip of dead space on the edge. I'd correct the distortion. I'd use highlight/shadow correction to bring up the shadows and tone down the highlights. I'd warm up the tone, she's in the shade and its fairly cool. I'd clone out some of the distracting elements, the white disc below her hand, the drawstring on her hoodie and the bolts in the lower right. I might add a slight vignette and do a bit of dodge and burn on her face.
I took a quick run at the first one and posted the result here to show what I mean, not perfect but gives you the idea.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/69407470@N06/15585256006/

Regards
Greg
10-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks, Greg! I appreciate the input, I know what you are saying with the composition, I tired that on some of the shots, but the problem was, it would be a bit distorted (the eyes would not be anywhere near as sharp). I am thinking I should eventually invest in a nice AF 50mm. Probably a Sigma, maybe an FA. Might look into the DA 50 too.
10-23-2014, 02:06 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think the best way to get good focus with these MF lens is to use Live View with the help of Info button to zoom in (up to x10) <= I just read the tip in this forum and totally like it ^^
Rikenon 50mm f2 get good reviews so enjoy the lens & beware of LBA =D
10-23-2014, 08:04 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Personally I really like using it, I have it paired with my Pentax M magnifier, but I don't have the greatest eyesight to begin with, which makes it difficult for me, and for some reason, when I focus on the face/eyes, then recompose the image, the face and eyes get a little soft, I guess what I could do is try stopping it down to a 2.8 or 4 or something and see if that helps or not. I am still kicking myself in the a$$ for selling for Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4.. I let the guy at a local camera shop buy it for $25 because I didn't know any better at the time, and that is what he said it was worth!

10-23-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
Personally I really like using it, I have it paired with my Pentax M magnifier, but I don't have the greatest eyesight to begin with, which makes it difficult for me, and for some reason, when I focus on the face/eyes, then recompose the image, the face and eyes get a little soft, I guess what I could do is try stopping it down to a 2.8 or 4 or something and see if that helps or not. I am still kicking myself in the a$$ for selling for Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4.. I let the guy at a local camera shop buy it for $25 because I didn't know any better at the time, and that is what he said it was worth!
Lets take a trip to that store. I got your back.
10-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Store closed unfortunately, and the guy that owned it took all of the stuff people were selling, and skipped town, and I haven't been able to find any trace of him.