Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Street Photography in Indo
Lens: Tamron 18-250 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Bali, Indonesia 

I recently spent a few days in Bali, where I decided to try my hand at some street photography. I thought that being a in a different culture might make taking impromptu pictures of some locals going about their business a bit easier, as they are probably used to seeing idiotic tourists running around constantly taking photos. I still found it very awkward and difficult, and I'm not sure that I would ever be comfortable doing street photography as a hobby! So these photos are a few of what I took, and may be both the first and last of my SP efforts!

Nevertheless, I would like some constructive criticism; perhaps along the lines of whether you feel they convey any emotional sort of connection with the culture, the people there, if they tell a story etc, or whether you feel they are just another dull photo devoid of a compelling subject. From a technical perspective, what do you think of the composition? Most of these were taken "on the run", so organizing lighting or background isn't always possible, but at least cropping is! Anything you would change or do differently in PP?

#1 Street vendor. Rather odd reflection on the scooter driver's face.
#2 Older generation.
#3 Younger generation.
#4 Counting stacks after a day's work. Right hand in focus, but face is not? Poor DOF control?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
10-26-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Focusrite Quote
may be both the first and last of my SP efforts!
I think that's a good first foray into the world of street photography.

QuoteOriginally posted by Focusrite Quote
Anything you would change or do differently in PP?
Aye in the last three images I would straighten up the verticals in PP.
10-26-2014, 04:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi

Don't give up on street photography.

I like No.1 because I like Asian backstreet hustle and bustle motives. The more to look at the better for me. The reflection on the scooter rider's face is probably from his rear vision mirror. I don't mind this at all in fact it adds interest.

I think in street photography it is best to shoot lots and lots of pics because in the end a lot of them finish up on the cutting floor. Its either not framed correctly; you have no control over lighting or the camera setting was not right because you had to act in haste . But among all the shots there will be some good ones.

Kerrowdown, I agree with pic Nos.2 and 3 but the angle in No.4 I quite like.

Greetings
10-27-2014, 10:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Nice shots. Very nice people. One of my best friends is Indonesian.

10-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the replies everyone. I must say that you have all reinforced to me how valuable it is to have someone else cast their eyes over your work; I never noticed just how wonky the 2nd and 3rd pictures look, the 3rd especially! Now I can't not notice it! Funny how you can focus on little details, yet somehow miss the big picture . . . . The 4th photo was a conscious decision to leave it like that, however; although I made no note of it in the description. Thanks again