Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
11-01-2014, 05:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

I feel like this photo needs something but I can't pinpoint it
Lens: FA 50mm 1.4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: park ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5 

I think my ISO was a little high but beyond that it feels like this photo needs something a little more, I tried adding a little color to the sky but that wasn't it. Suggestions?

Attached Images

11-01-2014, 05:51 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by julbelle Quote
I think my ISO was a little high but beyond that it feels like this photo needs something a little more, I tried adding a little color to the sky but that wasn't it. Suggestions?
Well, it's not half bad...

More than color I'd add contrast to the sky, try lowering the blue luminance slider in the HSL page if you use Camera Raw/Lightroom.
I'd also do something to lessen the impact of the burned out/washed out areas on the heads...
I'd also up the general saturation, better with a tool that protects skin tones.
Also it's a little bit overexposed.

Regarding the composition, there's a little too much space behind the woman's back and too little (in comparison) ahead...
You could try crop it a little bit, but those kind of things are better done right in camera.
Nice portrait though!

That's a quick fix from your reduced-quality jpeg, IQ is abysmal, but if you shot it RAW you can do the same & have great quality:

Last edited by LensBeginner; 11-01-2014 at 06:03 AM.
11-01-2014, 05:58 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Where was it taken?
11-01-2014, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
no problem with the iso being 400, but with that aperature you can shoot a lot faster and pull out an even sharper richer textured photo......I would adjust the black and whites bring up the whites and down the backs slightly to give some more contrast without effecting the colors,,,,

11-01-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I did shoot raw, I uploaded a small web file. If I could redo this shot again what would've been a better aperture? Thanks!
11-01-2014, 06:59 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by julbelle Quote
I feel like this photo needs something but I can't pinpoint it
The answer is chocolate, every image always looks better when viewed with a mouthful of chocolate.

Seriously... I think the composition is a little to central, try to use the rule of thirds, giving the 2/3 of space to the direction they're looking i.e. crop in as tight as you dare behind her in this instance as already suggested.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 11-01-2014 at 07:04 AM.
11-01-2014, 07:08 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shootng in direct sun in the middle of the day is always going to lead to raccoon eyes and harsh shadows on the faces. You need either a reflector of fill flash... if you were using, Aperture I'd "polarize" the background landscape to get rid of some of the haze, and probably do the sky with polarize and possible a light burn after that. I see some shade in the background, the diffuse light under tress can make the lighting a lot more even. Maybe -.07 EV on the exposure, maybe more, but the big issue here is, you can't make up for the flat lighting by bumping your contrast without pushing the facial shadows over the top. It's always tough to do a studio kind of shot, when you're not in a studio.

11-01-2014, 07:37 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Here's another quick edit on the low-res web posting just for example.
If we assume the subject faces are the first place people look when viewing a photo,it makes the face the most important thing to get right. Here we can use a little dodge tool in photoshop to brighten the faces selectively.
We also can darken overall highlights just a little to try to bring back perceived detail to the sky and clouds.
As LensBeginner mentioned, hue-specific Luminance/Saturation tweaks can go a long ways to help add contrast back in where needed, and can help a little when you have flat lighting. Here we tweaked red. blue, green, cyan, magenta, yellow.
Attached Images

11-01-2014, 08:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

More important for me that the person in the photo would have been lighter, as if that day and the sky is not expressive, it is very difficult to pull out.
I think that for such conditions, more than good photo.
And if you want a bright sky, it is better to do it in Photoshop
11-01-2014, 08:22 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The shot is a little over-exposed - as has been said above I think some form of supplementing the light (flash or reflector) would help but that can bring it's own problems.
I think the slightly below eye level camera position is not totally flattering but also the girl's pose is a little awkward; possibly because of the high heels, the leg crossing seems unnatural.
The girl's torso is twisted around slightly which has made her top look unflattering.
Hope you don't take offence - the picture is very nice and I'm suggesting small changes; quite cheeky when you see the calibre of the pictures I post up.
11-01-2014, 08:42 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I've tried a very quick tweak reining in the exposure a tad, but also cropping a bit; based on a previous comment about space behind the girl's back and to remove a bit of the featureless sky.
I did this using Gimp but could retrieve no detail in the sky
Attached Images

11-01-2014, 12:28 PM   #12
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just my suggestion; but cropping down the sky area quite a bit, would put more empathese on the couple.
11-04-2014, 06:58 AM - 2 Likes   #13

I am no pro by any means and I recently started shooting, but I have a suggestion. My wife, as most women, is very picky about how she looks in pictures. Mostly unflattering poses. I believe if you have to do the shoot again, I would have her sit up a little straighter or taller. The blouse started to stick to her figure and you can tell where the undergarments are on her side. She shows a slight hump maybe because she is leaning towards her husband. So I would have her face me a bit more and drop her shoulder a bit towards the camera. Kind of like this picture.

Have the husband sit up taller as well behind her.

And any color stuff the previous pro's said
11-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cguzman Quote
I am no pro by any means and I recently started shooting, but I have a suggestion. My wife, as most women, is very picky about how she looks in pictures. Mostly unflattering poses. I believe if you have to do the shoot again, I would have her sit up a little straighter or taller. The blouse started to stick to her figure and you can tell where the undergarments are on her side. She shows a slight hump maybe because she is leaning towards her husband. So I would have her face me a bit more and drop her shoulder a bit towards the camera. Kind of like this picture.

Have the husband sit up taller as well behind her.

And any color stuff the previous pro's said
This is a killer picture.
Well done, post liked.
11-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
I've tried a very quick tweak reining in the exposure a tad, but also cropping a bit; based on a previous comment about space behind the girl's back and to remove a bit of the featureless sky.
I did this using Gimp but could retrieve no detail in the sky
That's much better.

I think you could have been a bit higher too... that way they can look up a bit, which helps with the chin, belly, ...
« Big Dipper | street »