Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-17-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Morning Lake photos

Well, I have been shooting on and off with a rebel xt for a couple of years while I played around with photography. I have recently decided to get more serious about my photography which I know will involve effort, time and schooling of some sort. Thats why I ditched the rebel and got a real camera (K10d). :)

So I went down to a local lake close to where I live yesterday morn as the sun rose and snapped off some photos. I have chosen 5 of the ones that really catch my eye and I would like your opinion mainly on the different compositions and which is more pleasing. And please mention why (rule of thirds, etc).

Also any other critique as well will do nicely. The pics were taken at either 100 or 200 ISO. I shoot in M and use the little green button to meter. (God thats freaking handy!). I used the kit lens and contrast is set to +2 and saturation is set to +1.

I know they are all rather similar but again I would like to know which has the most pleasing composition. Not much originality (sun rising over lake with tree) I know but hey...it was there and I shot it. Also, no post production has been done at all. Just straight jpegs from the camera that have been downsized.

Let me know what you think.

Attached Images

05-17-2008, 11:20 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
By the way, I really like to use dark spaces, negative space and sillouhuettes. So the darkened ground was intentional. I like it, but does it make a good photo?

Bokeh
05-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are all very nice! I particularly like #1 and #3! #2 should perhaps be cropped from below to move the horizon some more off center.
05-18-2008, 12:16 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Ole. I like your idea about the horizon. I remember reading somewhere in my self teachings of photography that a horizon line in the middle of a photo was the preferred way to shoot it.

But I have always preferred a very low or very high horizon line. Just adds something to a pic I guess.

Anyone else out there who is wiling to critique these please?

05-18-2008, 02:32 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Number 1 and 2 for me - the composition is wonderful and that sky is outstanding.
Regards,
Bill
05-18-2008, 04:13 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
I like the first three shots - great colour. The first shot is my choice - I would crop a bit of the bottom - the curves from left to right lead the eye to the tree nicely. If I had to pick a negative of the last two - the horizon/cloud line intersects the tree top section which for me is a distraction and is missing the nice lead in curve in the first photo. Ken.
05-18-2008, 04:52 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Bokeh: I tend to do first impression comments, then try to go back using a second window some time later.

#1 and #3 (especially) jumped at me. I call it "made me smile," that is without the artistic skill to describe what is right about them, I thought, "That's a good one." They must be something because normally I don't react to negative space and dark images.

I agree with the crop advice for #2 - contrary to what you have read, I've read that one does not want the horizon in the middle - so your preference, versus what you read, seems better.

The curving shoreline is pleasing to the eye in #1 and #2 and the colors are particularly nice in 1-3.

I'm where you are in terms of time with a digital camera - but you have a natural eye that I lack.

05-18-2008, 05:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice job on all of these, but #1 is scary good!
05-20-2008, 08:49 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Guys, thanks so much for the feedback and comments. Its really great to have a supportive arena of fellow photographers who give tips and encouragement and, when needed, harsh feedback.

Im very happy that my photos seemed to past muster and were pleasing enough to you that you made favorable comments. This is very encouraging and helps me stay in a photographic state of mind.

Now I just have to get out and shoot more. Thanks again.

Bokeh
05-20-2008, 11:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Bokeh, I'm glad you replied to this because I wanted to comment on your pics but I couldn't find them. I like using outlines and sillouettes as well so your pics really appealed to my eye. My favorite is #1, I like where you placed the tree and how big it is in the frame, and the water and sky have a really wonderful color and texture.

thanks for posting them

Tim
05-21-2008, 12:18 AM   #11
axl
Veteran Member

WOW!
I like them, nice work with the dark/negative spaces. I like the first 2 the best, but I'd be tempted to crop the second to landscape mode to leave some of the foreground, but crop out best portion of the sky...
just my 2p
05-21-2008, 02:29 AM   #12
Banned

what lake is that? these are wonderful.