Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2014, 11:15 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just relax
Lens: Pentax DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR Camera: Pentax K-01 Photo Location: Germany ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F9.5 

Took this tele landscape some months ago on a warm day. I wanted to capture the haze and floating cotton, the serene green landscape in golden sunlight, but the photo got no responses. I would like to get some feedback on what to do to make it more attractive. Or is it just too empty?

Just relax

11-04-2014, 01:21 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the lens flare removes a lot of contrast and washes out the background that is there. But if you cropped the photo so that the left side became a normal aspect vertical picture with the flare at the top it might work better.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 11-04-2014 at 01:31 PM.
11-05-2014, 03:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
good photo, but I think it was necessary to turn the left corner down to the horizon on the right that was a little lift.
Sorry I do not know much English, I do not know how to more accurately express their thoughts
11-05-2014, 08:11 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hm, thanks for the tips. I liked the flare in this case, but I see that most viewers do not

11-05-2014, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think the flare can be nice, I use it myself but my critique is there isn't really an obvious subject in the photo.
11-05-2014, 08:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have had the same trouble, it is difficult to capture and control the flare. The lens also is difficult choice for landscape the 100mm is good for fore shortening the view making the back ground look closer and in you shot there is not much foreground so and the back ground is closer to being middle ground.

See my example of the telephoto compression (300mm) the background behind the boat looks a lot closer then it actually is. Your fore ground does not have the interest it is the house that is the point of interest so a wide angle and a walk to get closer would have helped and we have heard which WA handles flare so well. lens envy kicking in. Hope this helps or is something to think about.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-05-2014, 04:00 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattb123 Quote
I think the flare can be nice, I use it myself but my critique is there isn't really an obvious subject in the photo.
Ah yes. This is a constant for me
QuoteOriginally posted by gmans Quote
The lens also is difficult choice for landscape the 100mm is good for fore shortening the view making the back ground look closer and in you shot there is not much foreground so and the back ground is closer to being middle ground.
True, good tip! But I just love how sharp and contrasty it is. And a wider angle would show a lot more fields and make the houses tiny. But I get your point, there is a reason why wide angle is preferred for landscapes