Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-08-2014, 01:20 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Forum Member

Picture of a guy....painting a picture
Lens: Canon 28-135 Camera: Canon Rebel XTi Photo Location: Anza Borrego desert 

I was driving through the Anza Borrego desert back in December of 2007 and came across this guy literally out in the middle of nowhere painting this scene in front of him. I took this shot and for some reason always liked it.

Attached Images

11-08-2014, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This shot is very meaningful, it tells a story. That guy seems a professional painter, with all the equipment...
Good shot!
11-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Painting on the edge! Now there's something you don't see every day. i can see why you like it, though.
11-08-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I appreciate any constructive feedback on anything I throw up on here. Honestly I'm a novice and any input on framing, composition, or exposure flaws (or anything I did right) is appreciated. That said what people like in photos can be highly subjective and people can still like photos that have obvious flaws. I do need to get back into the habit I had back then which is to have a camera with me at all times so that opportunities like this one don't pass me by.

11-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

perhaps it was necessary to take a wider angle that would show the reproduction ratio of the mountains
11-08-2014, 07:57 PM   #6
Veteran Member

It's a picture of a guy painting a picture of a picturesque scene. Very meta.
11-09-2014, 04:20 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It is all wrong !

Not your photograph, that is fine.
The painter's choice of canvas size; utterly inappropriate format for this sort of motive. So I don't think he is a professional.

Greetings

11-09-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bryce K Quote
I was driving through the Anza Borrego desert back in December of 2007 and came across this guy literally out in the middle of nowhere painting this scene in front of him. I took this shot and for some reason always liked it.
I think it is an interesting place, and the pic shows an interesting activity.
As such, I would consider consider cropping, to eliminate some background.
To me, as an amateur, I would emphasize the painter and the harshness of the terrain, and lose the top area which is bright, and it looks as if there is a roadway behind the painter, lose that too.
My 2 cents!
11-09-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
It is all wrong !

Not your photograph, that is fine.
The painter's choice of canvas size; utterly inappropriate format for this sort of motive. So I don't think he is a professional.

Greetings
That rather depends on what the artist's vision tells them, doesn't it? Photographers can crop in post, of course, but the masters of landscape photography have used all sorts of formats/aspect ratios, from square to 4x5 to 6x7 to 2x3, and now 9x16!

Anyway, what's a professional? The general rule of thumb these days is anyone who can sell their output. Academics and others will tell you it's someone who professes a body of knowledge. Take your pick (personally, I think both apply).

The more I look at your photo, the more I like the compression of the longer FL. I think, though, it would benefit from some post-processing to bring out the layering of the hills, more. I had wondered if the painter might have been positioned differently (as in Rule of Thirds, for example) but I like the tension created by the fact that he appears to be seated right on the edge of a steep drop, and placing him near the edge of the frame I think assists that.
11-09-2014, 10:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you have it pretty much right as it is. Contrast in the lower third is about right, the painter is on a third (not an intersecting third but on a third nevertheless) and the top 2/3 is a bit lacking in contrast but that reflects the actual scene.
The interesting thing for me is that what the painter is painting appears to be at odds with what is in front of him. I guess that is one of the benefits of painting - if the scene is not to your liking then you paint it the way you want it to be.

We do that in post processing, the painter does it as he goes. You really have captured a story there.
11-10-2014, 01:05 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rayallen Quote
The interesting thing for me is that what the painter is painting appears to be at odds with what is in front of him. I guess that is one of the benefits of painting - if the scene is not to your liking then you paint it the way you want it to be.

We do that in post processing, the painter does it as he goes. You really have captured a story there.
He is producing a picture, so he doesn't have to PP it.
11-10-2014, 03:00 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RobA_Oz Quote
That rather depends on what the artist's vision tells them, doesn't it?
Hi Rob

Of course you are both right and wrong. How is that for a diplomatic answer.

Then there is the artist who hangs a blank canvas on the wall of the gallery and lets people figure out what the story is. And the suckers who buy this work of art for a lot of money (because the artist has a name) pretending they are superior laughing at people who have a blank look on their faces as blank as the canvas when trying to figure out what it all means..

Oh well, beauty is in the eyes of the artist and going against the norm can make them a lot of money and who am I to be judgmental.
11-10-2014, 12:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Flawless. And I also like the composition of the painting. A lot.
11-10-2014, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice. I like it too.
11-13-2014, 03:37 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Why colors in painting looks saturated, but image looks dull.