Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-24-2014, 01:06 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
The shots I see tend to be framed with the object of interest in the dead center of the frame. Sometimes it works, but often times it is obvious and uninteresting to the eye. Or, there is too much extraneous stuff in the frame distracting the eyes from the story. An example would be the mushroom. The bottom leaves take up 20% of the frame, the top another 15%, and the sides about 10% each. The actual mushroom is diminished by being so small, so its visual impact is weak. My assumption is that the mushroom is the subject of the shot.

Or this cafe street scene. I don't know what the subject of this shot is. The sun shining directly might have been interesting when being there in person, but as a photograph, it's harsh. You can barely see the people, and none of them seem to be doing anything engaging. The most predominant thing in the shot is the street lamp. It feel like you are trying to fit everything into the frame, but nothing is noteworthy.

Please don't take my criticisms personally, they are not intended that way, but I believe in providing straight feedback--both positive and negative when I critique shots.

M
Thanks Miguel.

The album with mushroom was about to be deleted soon actually. It was just a random shoot, experimenting, to show off to friends and then delete..
The photo with the cafe: I tried to get the atmosphere of the place, with people talking, tourists roaming under the sunset.. But you're right, it lacks a definite subject and I don't particularly like it.