Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
11-13-2014, 06:40 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Advice to improve macro photography
Lens: SMC Pentax-D FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Camera: K-30 (crystal blue) Photo Location: Tokyo 

Hi folks,
I like macro photography but I've been using my DFA 100 more as a telephoto lens since I got it as I'm disappointed with my efforts. As well as technical skills, I struggle with composition (see exhibit untiltled 1). Even with a tripod I struggle with capturing sharp images. Advice (please be gentle) would be welcome. Just looking at the exif in preview I'm embarrassed to se that the first pic was actually taken with my DA*55. Maybe I should take that to another thread? These pics have had some Lightroom work for exposure, white balance and in case of pic 1, cropping. Thank you in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
11-13-2014, 07:35 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The images seem to lack contrast to me, this makes it a bit tough to discern your focus plane. With this kind of macro you should be up in the f11 or higher range for depth. You'll want plenty of light, though.
11-13-2014, 07:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
definitely composition is an area that needs improvement. try looking at different macro pictures, so you can get a rough idea of what works and what doesnt. I think good light is a must especially with macro photogrpahy. I tend to use an external flash (never on board flash), to make the subject pop. also apertures between f8 and f16 help in keeping a lot more in focus.going above f16 will just increase diffraction. I always use manual focus as well.

have a read at this.i found it useful when I first got into macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/261899-our-macro-rigs.html
11-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'm always stuggling with light when I try macro hence the tripod. It seems that I can't away without a macro flash set-up (thanks for the link schnitzer79). Do you folks use live view and manual focus?

11-13-2014, 08:34 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

One of the keys to macro in my opinion is to clearly identify the subject. One can achieve this in a number of ways. Lighting, composition and focus. Looking at your images, I can offer some suggestions.

1. Bolts
Depth of field This has shallow depth of field so that some of the bolt heads are sharp and others not. Simplistically my rule is Deep enough to ensure all that has to be in focus is in focus and no more. Shallow enough to ensure that everything that has to be in focus is in focus and no less. I suspect you camera plane was not parallel to the surface.
Composition. Quite cluttered and shadows of unseen bolts along the top and side are very distracting.
2 Leaf.
Composition. The grey leaf seems to be the subject but is overpowered by the rich colours of the surrounds. Zooming in or cropping would make the leaf more prominent in the frame.
Focus. EXIF data reports an aperture of f25. At this aperture you tend to loose sharpness due to diffraction. I would suggest aperture of f11-f16 at the most.
3 Pansy
Composition. This flower is too centered in the frame. Like the leaf above it is overpowered by the surrounding foliage. Try to find a flower that is separated physically from its background.
Focus. Like the leaf above this is quite soft. For flowers I tend to use my camera (K7) on TaV setting with aperture of f11 and exposure of at least 1/250 th of a second. I let ISO look after itself.

In general some post processing is often necessary. Especially sharpening.

Above all practice, practice, practice.
Cheers
11-14-2014, 12:49 AM   #6
Veteran Member

First thing wrong is Focus, your focus is on slightly back objects, maybe its lens AF calibration issue.
Second all images look bit washed, try to do EV- 1/2 stop.
Stop down as everyone says f11 is good for macro, even higher if you are very close to subject.
11-14-2014, 02:59 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback. I suspect that the focus being slightly off with the leaf and the pansy could be due to the wind present on the day and also the fact that I tend to take my spectacles off when using the camera's viewfinder. I ended up using f/25 aperture trying to get as much as I could in focus not knowing about the diffraction issues of the lens. I think I'll practice macro indoors to avoid the complication caused by wind whilst learning.
Bruce has nailed my main issue with composition: what is the subject of my picture and how best to bring it out. I've been looking at Youtube videos on the subject and browsing through Flickr but forgot the forums here where I've received good advice before.

11-14-2014, 06:44 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Plenty of us are on Flickr, feel free to connect.

---------- Post added 11-14-14 at 07:45 AM ----------

I also suggest center focus for macro - you really need to specify what you want in focus. It will also help with manual focus, since it's that point the verification monitors.
11-14-2014, 06:49 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Using wireless flash is by far one of the best ways to improve your work - and it also helps improve the image quality too.

With visible light you can only do so much:

But add a single wireless flash:

11-14-2014, 07:52 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
Using wireless flash is by far one of the best ways to improve your work - and it also helps improve the image quality too.

excellent example digitalis. and great photos as well
11-14-2014, 04:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote

But add a single wireless flash:
Nice indeed Digitalis. Could you enlighten me regarding your flash setup?
11-15-2014, 06:29 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Congrats on getting the amazing DFA 100mm! Its a sharp and contrasty lens. With macro you need the following:
- stable tripod. Dont walk or touch it during the exposure. Turn off SR when using tripod
- timer or remote. This helps reduce vibrations and blur caused by button press. On Pentax cameras the 2 sec timer includes mirror lockup to reduce mirror slap blur.
- aperture. Macro has extremely shallow DoF so you need aperture of f8-16 or focus stacking.

Regsrding composition i suggest you look at many photos and study them. Good luck!
11-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schnitzer79 Quote
definitely composition is an area that needs improvement. try looking at different macro pictures, so you can get a rough idea of what works and what doesnt. I think good light is a must especially with macro photogrpahy. I tend to use an external flash (never on board flash), to make the subject pop. also apertures between f8 and f16 help in keeping a lot more in focus.going above f16 will just increase diffraction. I always use manual focus as well.

have a read at this.i found it useful when I first got into macro

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/177-macro-photography/261899-our-macro-rigs.html
I always use manual focus ,tripods out in the field are too much of a pain so I always handhold and around f16 .a ringflash is a great help

11-15-2014, 03:33 PM   #14

f/25 is not so good, you loose sharpness and IQ because of diffraction.
just keep shooting to get an eye for composition. good luck.
11-16-2014, 02:11 AM   #15

Original Poster
Some beautiful pictures here which make me drool with envy. I guess I better start saving for the ring flash and that 77 ltd. Does any one have experience with the Pentax 080c ring flash using a K5 or K-30/50? I read that I'd need to use 1/4 power and stop down with it. Is it worth getting using this or wait and save?