Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-28-2014, 04:35 AM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Kungsgatan in Stockholm
Lens: 18-135mm Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Stockholm, Sweden 

HI guys!

First post to the site! I had an Olympus E-510 before and I changed to a K5 in early 2013. Here is a shot take from a bridge with a GorillaPod. My technique still needs work, but that's why I can't wait for feedback!

Cheers!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-28-2014, 07:32 AM - 1 Like   #2

Hi,
nice to see you here. The image already looks good. I always like those light trails from traffic. The slight curve of the road is also quite cool. It adds to the image's motion character.
Maybe you could have used an even longer exposure to get more of these light trails.
At least for me the image also looks somehow a bit too dark. Considering that you only used ISO 80 you maybe could have gone even further without compromising quality too much.
11-28-2014, 08:31 AM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome! Wow, off to a good start! Nice kit and great photo!
Since this is the critique forum, I will have to look hard to look for things! Hm, are you sure the horizon is horizontal, and the verticals vertical? Seems there might be a little, ever so slight rotation to the left.
About the darkness of the photo.. Yes, maybe there is too much vignetting. Or maybe the car light trails are too "short" to sufficiently balance the darkness. Maybe you can add a touch of fill light, so the photo still feels like a night time photo, but not so dark that you lose detail. All that said, great photo, looking forward to see your developing skills
11-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments! Yes I was debating if I should make the image a little lighter in PP but I wasn't sure how to do it without loosing to much of the detail in the sky. And Na Horuk I think you are right about the horizon. It might not be entirely right. I will work on it and post an updated version. Thanks again!

11-28-2014, 10:04 AM - 1 Like   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here is a quick update where I fixed the horizon (I think) and removed a lot of the vignette. I tend to go a little overboard in PP as I am always a little unsure of my pictures. I guess, that the confidence will come with time!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
11-28-2014, 01:58 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I think the second version is easier to look at, more inviting! Maybe not as dramatic as the first one, since its not so dark/contrasty, but I think it is better now
11-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #7

I do agree. The second version looks better for me. The little added light also adds to the orange color in the windows on the right. I did not notice it in the first image (I know it's there - it simply did not get my attention) but now with all the details these highlights pop right out.
11-28-2014, 04:35 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the second one better too.

11-29-2014, 12:02 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi

City night shots benefit from bright electric colourful light. Unfortunately the location does not offer this because the buildings on the left and right look a bit dead, there is not enough illumination. No bright windows, no neon lights. Hence the perceived darkness. There is nothing you can do about this, or is there.

Try this.
Re-visit the place on a rainy night when wet roads and pavements reflect the little bit of light there is and in this way you can overcome the problem to some extend. In general city night shot always look good with wet roads and pavements.

Greetings
11-29-2014, 03:50 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

City night shots benefit from bright electric colourful light. Unfortunately the location does not offer this because the buildings on the left and right look a bit dead, there is not enough illumination. No bright windows, no neon lights. Hence the perceived darkness. There is nothing you can do about this, or is there.

Try this.
Re-visit the place on a rainy night when wet roads and pavements reflect the little bit of light there is and in this way you can overcome the problem to some extend. In general city night shot always look good with wet roads and pavements.

Greetings
You are right about the location. I have been living in Sweden for three months now and it suprised me to see that they don't really light up the buildings here. However, it rains often so I might be able to get a better shot at another time. If I can get a rainy night and a longer exposition (longer light trails) maybe there is something to be done!

Thanks for the comments, I truly appreciate it! No one around me does photography so getting constructive criticism is exactly what I need to get better.
11-29-2014, 03:58 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas514 Quote
You are right about the location. I have been living in Sweden for three months now and it suprised me to see that they don't really light up the buildings here. However, it rains often so I might be able to get a better shot at another time. If I can get a rainy night and a longer exposition (longer light trails) maybe there is something to be done!

Thanks for the comments, I truly appreciate it! No one around me does photography so getting constructive criticism is exactly what I need to get better.
Thanks for taking the time to reply.