Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 05:35 PM - 1 Like   #1
Forum Member

A Cold early Winter Morning
Lens: DA 50mm 1.8 Camera: K-3 Photo Location: Nackawic NB Canada ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/8000s Aperture: F2.2 

Just got my first dslr a couple weeks ago and these are the first real set of pics.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
11-29-2014, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If these are your first ones.. wow! Job well done! Really nice landscape and good looking horses. You had difficult conditions to work with - the snow reflects light, can have an oddly blue cast. You did well, though! I see you even used aperture to control DoF, putting the focus more on the horses (I assume the camera would prefer you shoot f8 in those conditions, which would increase the DoF all the way to infinity)

Since this is the critique forum, I would say this. Watch the foreground. Both photos have something in the foreground, just a few stalks of OoF grass or a wooden plank. You usually don't want such things in your photo, unless they directly relate to the other layers of the photo. Just for fun, if you scroll up in such a way that the above photos look like 16:9 crops with the bottom cut off.. I think the photos then look better. They bring the viewer closer and remove the distracting foreground.

Hope to see more photos from you, you are definitely on the right track, and you have some great gear, as well!