Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Matt & Renee

My apologies if non-Pentax cameras are not permitted here. I couldn't find anything stating otherwise. Actually used my new Nikon for this. But I value the experience and opinions of this forum more than any other.

My first kinda real gig where people have asked me for some photos. Open to any and all suggestions to help me improve here. I feel I know the technicalities of photography now but putting that into action on the spot and working with real people is a bit different to what I have done before.

Edited these on a new laptop rather than my normal desktop so really need a double check on exposures and white balance etc before I release the shots to them.

1. I realise he is slightly out of focus here

Matt and Renee
by Crew One Photography, on Flickr

Matt and Renee

Matt and Renee

Matt and Renee

Matt and Renee

Matt and Renee

Matt and Renee

8. Yeah a step to their right and there wouldn't be a tree on his shoulder

Matt and Renee

Last edited by dcBear78; 11-30-2014 at 03:42 AM.
11-29-2014, 09:37 PM   #2
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No restrictions on camera gear that I am aware of. This is a nice set. I think your clients should be happy with the result. My only comment is that she looks nice and relaxed in number 5 but he looks to be "not in the same moment". "Tree out of the shoulder" is undesirable, as you say, but it is a nice image of them both. She is a natural for photography.
11-29-2014, 10:54 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I had issues trying to get him to relax into things. He wasn't anxious or anything. Just seemed to strike a rigid postal the time. Watched too much Zoolander I think.
11-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I am by no means a professionnal but I like this set. The light is great! My only comment would be on #4, her face is in the light but his is in the shade. That's all so overall, good job!

11-30-2014, 04:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas514 Quote
I am by no means a professionnal but I like this set. The light is great! My only comment would be on #4, her face is in the light but his is in the shade. That's all so overall, good job!
Yeah I was aware of that at the time. Unfortunately I was about an hour and a half earlier than I would've liked for good light. But was working with their availability. I've even given this a hit with the adjustment brush to fix this a bit.
12-04-2014, 01:33 PM   #6
Pentaxian

A nice set overall.

I would take a double check on your white balance for the first two photos; to me, they seem to have a fairly pronounced green cast. Looking at the whites of the couples eyes, and the tint of the woman's teeth in the first shot, I would suggest that the yellow and cyan points are adjusted. (Most people's teeth are a bit yellow, but the colour in the eye whites seems off).

Overall, nice stuff and good variety!
12-09-2014, 03:16 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I kicked myself when I got home and realised despite having grey cards on me, I forgot to use them which would have alleviate that problem.

12-11-2014, 05:30 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Thanks for that. I kicked myself when I got home and realised despite having grey cards on me, I forgot to use them which would have alleviate that problem.
That being said, photography isn't necessarily about creating a 1:1 copy of reality as it really is. Playing with the colours is all a part of artistic expression, and helps you highlight what exactly it is you want to express in your photography; I think the extra warmth in the colours works well in the 8th shot.