Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-30-2014, 12:19 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Icelandic coast
Lens: 18-135mm WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Snaefjelsness Peninsula, Iceland ISO: 400 Aperture: F5 

I do a lot of landscapes and because I love nordic countries, it is often grey. Just wanted to know if you guys had some advice on a picture like this?

Thanks a million!

Last edited by Nicolas514; 11-30-2014 at 02:26 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake
11-30-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This sums up what it's like on nordic coastlines most of the time very well! I feel like... Wait. Like I haven't moved an inch :P
The flat light when it's grey like this can be kinda hard to work with-- photos can sometimes end up looking a little dull. Increasing the clarity (in lightroom) may bring out some definition in the clouds and give the shot a slightly more mystic look. It may also have been smart to stop down so that the whole shot was in focus, the distant coastline is lacking a little in clarity.
12-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
Pentaxian

There's a lot of sky in the composition. Maybe play with the Lightroom clarity slider to get some extra definition to the clouds. The left sky looks overexposed. Try to adjust highlights, and if it's completely blown next time expose for the sky then brighten the ground during processing.

Not much color in the scene. Try boosting saturation or maybe go with a B&W conversion.
12-04-2014, 06:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would go for moody black and white, should suit the shot very well

12-04-2014, 10:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What are you trying to show us with that coast line though? The desolation? the bleak horizon? the warn cliff face? I suppose I love a narrative in an image, so a coast line for a coast lines sake doesn't do much for me. The narrative will help you focus what it is you need to change / you are trying to show us?

There a a trillion different ways that image could be edited for a different story each time. What story do you want to choose?
12-08-2014, 05:39 AM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tromboads Quote
What are you trying to show us with that coast line though? The desolation? the bleak horizon? the warn cliff face? I suppose I love a narrative in an image, so a coast line for a coast lines sake doesn't do much for me. The narrative will help you focus what it is you need to change / you are trying to show us?

There a a trillion different ways that image could be edited for a different story each time. What story do you want to choose?
I was trying to show the the solitude and the isolaton of that specific place. On one side you have this barren land, void of any other car and then the vastness of the ocean on the other side (that's why there is more ocean than land, to create a sens of isolation.
12-08-2014, 06:47 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Maybe some palm trees & parrots?

I like it.