Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2008, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Bathroom Decor Pictures

sorry for the title, but they help attract inputs!

My sister wants to decor her bathroom and had the idea of taking pictures and framing it. We did a quick tryout last night, so I could have an idea of lenses to use and if I would need a flash.

These are the results from the short session. she wants 3 pictures to be framed: taking a shower, putting make up and using the toilet. I am recommending we do it in B&W.

these were only trimmend, contrast/brightness adjusted and B&W'ed.

The bathroom is kinda tiny, so not much space to work with.

Any ideas or comments are welcome!

TIA!

Last edited by BBear; 05-22-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: changing title
05-22-2008, 09:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Forgot to mention the lens info:

TOILET
Kit Lens 28mm f/4.0 @ 1/4 sec

MAKE UP
Kit Lens 38mm f/4.5 @ 0.30"

SHOWER
Vivitar 28mm around f/4 (no exif)

Originally I wanted to use the 50mm f/1.4 but totally didnt have enough space for it... for the finals I'll try to use the Vivitar 28mm f/2.8 at first, if having problems then i'll switch to the kit lens.
05-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

is the blurryness intentional?

should have upped the ISO
05-22-2008, 09:46 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
is the blurryness intentional?

should have upped the ISO
He he he.. totally not intentional but that was the least of my goals yesterday. I wanted to check composition and decide which lens to use.

She wasnt posing still, as you can see in the shower pic and I actually didnt try hard to focus.

At this time i am looking more for ideas regarding the B&W, the cropping, the angles and possibly lighting... I will then take these inputs in consideration and I'll redo the pictures with my sister!

Talking about ISO, one idea I had was to bump it to 1600 and have is all grainy/noise B&W... and maybe even increase noise in PS... just an idea...

05-22-2008, 11:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

To be honest, I'm not sure what you're going for, but you need lots more light...noise can be added later. It's pretty flat, lacking dynamic range, and composition leaves the feeling of regular old snapshots.

Decide on your motivation and push toward an emphasis on that....

**Apology noted, although I still don't like the thread title.
05-22-2008, 11:23 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by d.bradley Quote
To be honest, I'm not sure what you're going for, but you need lots more light...noise can be added later. It's pretty flat, lacking dynamic range, and composition leaves the feeling of regular old snapshots.

Decide on your motivation and push toward an emphasis on that....

**Apology noted, although I still don't like the thread title.

Basically she wants 3 pictures to frame and hang in the bathroom...

Lighting is definitely something to be improved, and I am not sure how to approach that: i have one flash and some house lights i can move around. I guess i'd have to move the sources i have around and see what works better.

Regarding composition, i wish i had more space to work around, but it's a tiny bathroom. i thought about getting a stool and trying different angles, but my sister only had a cloth chair and wouldnt let me step on it.

do you think different perspectives would better overall composition?

Regarding the DR, I am not even sure how to do anything about that. What do you mean actually? at the time she was wearing a black robe, the walls are white, and there is not much color in the bathroom anyways... and we decided to go B&W.

Regarding the title, obviously i was simply trying to get more clicks than to be disrespectful, not to mention that it is totally accurate. I am not sure how to change it, but i'll try as to avoid any issues.

PS. I see you are in Grand Cayman! I was there in january and loved it! I just wished I had a underwater housing for my olympus at that trip for the Sting Ray City photos! Simply gorgeous... nice place to live!
05-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
hmm... i tried editing the title to "Bathroom Decor Pictures" but it wont go to the thread main title...

If this title is that bad, moderators feel free to change to "Bathroom Decor Pictures".

05-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I've heard that reading on the toilet causes haemorrhoids.
Have you got a fish eye you could try using?
Gary
05-22-2008, 01:41 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I've heard that reading on the toilet causes haemorrhoids.
Have you got a fish eye you could try using?
Gary

huahauhuaha... is that a scientific source?

fisheye would work wonders in the given space... but unfortunately it is not an option.

cheers mate!