Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2014, 06:53 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Skin colours
Camera: Pentax K-3 ISO: 100 

Hi guys, I am seeking an advice about how to achieve close-to-life skin tones. Seems like every time I send picture thru Lightroom, I get either graveyard special grey, or almost cartoon-like skin shades, like here. This might be really long shot, but anyway, which slider would you touch to get it close to life?

12-07-2014, 08:44 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

If you put a gray card or color chart under the same lighting, preferably with the model in the frame, you can use it as a reference in your editing program. You should be able to click on the gray card with a medicine dropper to remove any extraneous color casts.

One thing to remember is that your subject is lit not only by the light source, but also by light reflecting onto her. In this case, she's essentially got a big pink bounce board throwing pink light onto her, and it is showing in her skin tone. If you try the method I mentioned, you should be able to remove the pink cast from her skin, to get a more natural tone.
12-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

That is an old trick and nothing works better.
12-07-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
This sheet bouncing was so obvious i simply had to miss it Thanks for pointing out.

01-03-2015, 01:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Have you had a chance to try the grey card method? One more thing I wanted to mention is that, if you do use this method, I would overexpose by a bit. When you use the medicine dropper, you are removing information, which technically decreases your signal to noise ratio. If you have more signal (higher exposure), you should be less likely to see noise creep in.
01-03-2015, 03:15 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Or use a Colorchecker Passport (which is recognised by Lightroom) and it will set a correct colour profile for you.