Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Would you consider this street photography?
yes 518.52%
no 2281.48%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2014, 05:17 PM   #1

Is this street photography?
Lens: Tamron AF 17-50mm F2.8 XR Di-II LD Camera: Pentax K-3 Photo Location: Old Colorado City ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F11 

Wandering the back streets and came upon this scene. The women is blind. She allowed me to take her picture and then blessed me, not that I need to be, but it made her happy. My question is, is this image considered 'street' photography?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
12-08-2014, 10:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
While this is probably a gray area, I voted no. I feel that traditional street photography ought to include street elements. When I think "street photography" I think sidewalks, cars, buildings, business, and lots of people.
12-08-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Gary, it looks like the only way streets were involved were as a way for you to get to her house and do a (good) traditional portrait.

I'm assuming this is her back yard, though. If it's by the sidewalk, I take it all back!
12-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
well it all depends on what you will call street photography. There are people that will only call photographs taken on the street with people streetphotography. But when looked at the wider meaning of streetphotography, it is much more than that. Then is becomes photography in public places which contain people and/or human elements. So it can be in libraries, museums, even concerts. And when looking at great streetphotographers, you will see that the photo's are not all taken in the streets. Streetphotography is just a name for a type of photography, it is not a name of where the photo should be taken.

So yes I would classify this as streetphotography, as it is an everyday event of a person in a public space.

12-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I voted no only because I think street photography is more one of capturing moments as they occur, with the photographer merely a lucky observer in the right place at the right time outside of a dynamic setting looking in; so street photography is IMO, about both the setting and the people in it, going about their lives, most of them are unaware of the camera.

This is more of an impromptu portrait. The difference is, this subject is aware of you, and engaging you and the camera, (so is the dog), so the photographer is now part of the dynamic.
While this is not a portrait per se, this photograph is about the woman, and the things she wears, her cigarette, her dog, are clues to her personality.
As such it's good picture, you could make a photoessay of her and her dog and her day, and it would be interesting.

Last, since she did say you could photograph her, consider how you could have composed the shot. I usually see where I should have stood in relationship to the subject while I'm reviewing my shots on the computer . I get so intent on the main subject that I don't notice the clutter or angles. The foreground and subject colors are good.
12-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No. It is more of a portrait. As others have said, she was aware of you and your taking her picture. I think of street shots as more candid, with the photographer being anonymous and unseen, to capture a more "real" and unaware scene. Ideally the person has no idea they are being photographed, maybe never know. And they are not reacting to the camera, they are only going about their lives normally, with no regard at all to the photographer. I also think of "street" photography as having more urban elements, where the environment is as important as the people in it... This looks like a backyard: precious and personal... I feel like street photography should be in a place with public access, people coming and going at all times, not belonging to anyone in particular.
12-09-2014, 06:38 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by Gary Benson Quote
Is this street photography?
Not for me I afraid, I need more "street" in the image and more of a candid or opportunist moment, this looks a little to posed.

12-09-2014, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

street photography? no. Awesome picture with a great story? yeah.
12-10-2014, 10:20 PM   #9
Pentaxian

I say awesome pic with a great story. I noticed that dog first, then I read she was blind. I could already tell from the dog's look that it is protecting her.
12-10-2014, 10:57 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would classify this as a journalistic portrait. Ie. not street photography which is in my opinion more impersonal.
12-12-2014, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

IMO it's a nice portrait.
12-12-2014, 10:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I think its barely in the street photography class. More jornalistic essay than anything. However the fact shes blind , there is still an element of being candid as she cant really see the camera or know exactly what your doing ?
I like the photo.