Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 09:15 PM   #1

Critique of Prom Dress Shoot

Hey all!

My friend's parents wanted her to get shots of her in her prom dress, and I offered to do them. Here they are, all C&C is highly welcome. This is what I would call some of my best work, so I would like to see where I can improve. EXIFs should be intact.

K10D + DA18-55, SB25 fired into shoot-through umbrella camera right, sun used as key

K10D + DA18-55, SB25 fired into shoot-through umbrella camera right, sun used as key

K10D + FA50, SB25 into white shoot through umbrella camera right for key, sun used as rim and hairlight

K10D + DA18-55, SB25 into white shoot through umbrella camera right to over power sun.

K10D + DA18-55, SB25 into white shoot through umbrella camera right to balance ambient exposure.

All C&C welcome!!

05-23-2008, 09:22 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shots, it's hard to suggest improvements. Perhaps the "frame" (branches) in the last shot, upper left is intruding a bit too much.

I like the first shot the most, but they are all great!
05-23-2008, 09:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Very well done as OLe point out not much to critique as basically its well structured

cheers
05-23-2008, 10:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

A few tiny observations:

#1 - I love it.
#2 - Watch out for that clone of the sky at the left. Needs to be cleaned up a bit.
#3 - Flare ...you could avoid it at the time of shooting, or use it to your advantage and go for a little more flare. The "middle ground" isn't ideal, but it doesn't detract too much here though.
#4 - The weakest shot. Too much processing for my taste, and the angle isn't quite as flattering as the others. Toss it.
#5 - Wonderful composition and natural framing. Maybe clone out the single blade of grass over her right leg (the left of the frame). Might be tough with some of the dress details, but could be done with patience...

Nice series. There are just tiny details in an overall wonderful shoot! Keep up the great work, your clients should be very happy and you should be proud.

05-23-2008, 10:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice guys!

2.That damn clone in the upper left sky, I tried to clean that up but nothing looked natural. Back to work it goes.
3. If by flare you mean the little out of focus thing in the bottom left? I think thats actually a piece of hay/grass/vegetation that was in front of the lens, but point taken.
4. I was just messing around with this one, I enjoy going a bit extreme sometimes!
5. I'll try the cloning, although I am not great at mantaining detail whilst doing so.

Thanks for all the help!
05-24-2008, 12:45 PM   #6

Original Poster
Just for those who are interested

Here is the BW shot cleaned up of halo as well as cleaned up the branch and her hair. Thanks!

05-24-2008, 06:00 PM   #7
Damn Brit

Nice shots, very dreamy, I don't know if you've seen it, but they made me think of the movie 'Big Fish', the shots are real but they have that surreal look and feel to them.
She's a great model by the way.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 05-25-2008 at 05:39 PM.
05-25-2008, 09:15 AM   #8
Veteran Member

nice shots

nice shots kiss.... You did great.. But this is the critique section so here is my 2 cents.. I like them all but the hand positioning is a bit off for me..

#1 - I really like, it is probably my favorite of the bunch. Is she holding the grass? This is fine but he hand would look more natural on her lap or resting on her hip...

#2 - To me her hand in the middle really distracts from the picture.

#3 - Is a closer runner to #1 for my favorite... The blade of grass on her dress is nice but yet seems a bit distracting.. You are trying to show off the dress and the model so why cover them up?

#4 - Is very creative. very "ah inspring!!

#5 - Again nice shot but the left arm beign held up looks unnatural. It should be hanging by her side or being held behind her back in some way...

You did a great job, the family should be very happy... Theses are just little nit picks that might or might not of made the pictures better..

Hope this helped. Kim
05-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great use of flash. The first one is definitely my favourite. Very natural, shows off the model well, but still somehow larger than life.
05-25-2008, 05:40 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thank you very much!

For some reason the first one makes her seem like a lioness, or its just me