Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2014, 09:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
which one to keep?
Lens: CV58mm Camera: K5iis Photo Location: Kolkata ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F4 

I took these shots on the street. Asked for permission of subject - I think its just a basic courtesy.
Light was fading fast and too many people on the street. Had to make it quick without time to think too much.
Composition definitely could have been better. Files are resized.
Please give your frank opinion - harsh comments welcome on any dimension.
Thanks in advance. (will not be able to post my comments for at least next 2 weeks).

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by debakarma; 10-30-2015 at 01:08 AM.
12-13-2014, 09:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the first one The way she is sitting bothers me..
In the second one I am not sure about her expression.
I like the last one the best. I would crop the left so as to remove the people on the side around the edge of the yellow grate and crop the bottom to above the white object in the street. That removes some dead space on the street, as well as distractions (people) on the left, Possibly tone down the white wall just a touch
Just my opinion.
12-14-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
The first IMHO has the best storyline about it, but still requires a bit of PP, a wee crop and a look at both the contrast and shadows departments.
12-14-2014, 06:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I would crop the bottom one just enough to put more emphasis on the person. ( an obviously not show the distractions on the far left....)

12-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
While the first one seems the most candid, I find giving such screen real estate to someone's back is simply less-than-wonderful photography. I also don't find anything compelling about the image--that is the story is weak.

The second one seems too posed. The woman is also very diminished by her surroundings, but not in a meaningful way. Again weak story.

As is, the third one is too random so to speak. Slicing off the man to the left is again less-than-wonderful photography. The woman seems too far away to effectively convey her surroundings--the distance conveys the message that the photographer is too fearful (or polite) to get closer. The trash in the street complicates the story--maybe that's good--but could be stronger. Consider cropping away 30% of the shot on the left and another 40% on the top and see how that story plays out. Similar to the above suggestion.

M