Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2014, 07:46 AM   #1
Veteran Member

aurora and cityscape
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA L 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 Camera: Pentax K-m Photo Location: Tromsų, Norway ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F3.5 

Out shooting a few weeks ago, took this. I have some mixed feelings about this shot, because there was a lot of light pollution so the colouring is kinda weird. I'd love to get some feedback on the composition and PP

12-14-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
For me just a few tweaks in PP, remove the neon blue strip (clone out completely) on the right hand side of the hill and adjustment brush to tone down the city lights far right (burning in or decrease exposure), this will help boost the aurora too.
12-14-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Next time maybe you can try two shots. Expose one for the city lights and one for the aurora and then blend the two. Just a thought.
12-14-2014, 08:01 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Nice aurora borealis. Next time they need to more colorful...

12-15-2014, 12:34 PM   #5

Overall i like the concept but the hill in the foreground takes up to much space IMO. Cropping 100 pixels from the bottom makes the composition well balanced for me.
Where did the blue stripe come from?
12-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The blue stripe is from a hiker who passed through my frame with a headlamp on :P The image has already had a radio tower cropped out of it, any more, and I'd start worrying about loosing resolution :/ Here's an edit where the stripe is removed and the highlights are dimmed:

https://500px.com/photo/92729467/aurora-cityscape-by-zoe-bazilchuk
12-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I think its a great shot! What I would do is crop a little of the bottom, maybe try 16:9 aspect ratio, so there is less "empty" space in the photo. You can also try using the rule of thirds to put focus points in corners and add leading lines. Basically, in this photo there is a lot of dark hill, and there could be more aurora lights
Did you use 2 sec timer and slow shutter NR? Beyond that, I think the main things to improve this shot would be to buy new gear K-30/50 would give you better noise performance, so you could use ISO 1600 or 3200 without a problem. But this is hardly a critique, just a thought.

So I would say you are definitely on the right track! More PP, like taking two frames, one of sky, one of foreground, and one of city and then blending them together (HDR, tonemap style) might be a good next step, but that can quickly become a photoshop nightmare!

12-16-2014, 01:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think its a great shot! What I would do is crop a little of the bottom, maybe try 16:9 aspect ratio, so there is less "empty" space in the photo. You can also try using the rule of thirds to put focus points in corners and add leading lines. Basically, in this photo there is a lot of dark hill, and there could be more aurora lights
Did you use 2 sec timer and slow shutter NR? Beyond that, I think the main things to improve this shot would be to buy new gear K-30/50 would give you better noise performance, so you could use ISO 1600 or 3200 without a problem. But this is hardly a critique, just a thought.

So I would say you are definitely on the right track! More PP, like taking two frames, one of sky, one of foreground, and one of city and then blending them together (HDR, tonemap style) might be a good next step, but that can quickly become a photoshop nightmare!
There will be a K-3 in my hands hopefully in about 48 hours :P
12-16-2014, 02:40 AM   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ZoeB Quote
Here's an edit where the stripe is removed and the highlights are dimmed:
Now that's just "spot on" IMHO, I do hope you agree.

Well done good PP.
12-16-2014, 07:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Now that's just "spot on" IMHO, I do hope you agree.

Well done good PP.
Now I'm blushing. Thanks
12-16-2014, 09:02 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Oh I am sure your photos will be even better once you master the new camera! Congratulations, hope to see more aurora
12-16-2014, 10:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I so envy you.

I went from the k-m to k-30. I love my k-30 but the k-m is my first love. I sold it to my brother.

But a k-m to a k-3. WOW. That is a world of difference. Even though I used center focus most of the time it was nice to focus point lit up.
12-17-2014, 12:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Culture Quote
I so envy you.

I went from the k-m to k-30. I love my k-30 but the k-m is my first love. I sold it to my brother.

But a k-m to a k-3. WOW. That is a world of difference. Even though I used center focus most of the time it was nice to focus point lit up.
I'm so excited! I decided that since i was gonna upgrade, I wanted it to get a camera that wasn't gonna limit me, and the incredible sensitivity and dynamic range of the K-3 sensor is what i want, because of shots like this. Love my K-m too. I don't think i'll be able to sell it though, it's gotten a little quirky with age and the viewfinder is badly scratched.