Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2008, 11:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
B&W Yosemite

I went to Yosemite last Sunday. It was spectacular as always, but there was nothing to make the day stand out photographically (weather was clear blue and I stayed firmly on the beaten path, etc.) I decided to play with Black and White conversions in Lightroom, and got results I like, but I'm not sure if they're too extreme/overprocessed. What do you think...

Both taken with the Sigma Mini-Wide II 28mm on a K200D @ ISO 100

1/25 @ f/18

1/2000 @ f/2.8

Please be as vicious as you like about composition, processing, subject matter and it won't hurt my feelings (too much ) I like the depth I see in the shot of Bridal Veil Falls (#2).

Last edited by heliphoto; 05-24-2008 at 09:13 AM.
05-24-2008, 03:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

As I've said before B&W is timeless and here forever the images that it capture has a life of its own.Well done

cheers
05-24-2008, 06:04 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Nice shots, have you compared them to anything Ansel Adams took?
Gary
05-29-2008, 01:53 PM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
great shots, and theB&W really adds

05-30-2008, 01:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cupic Quote
As I've said before B&W is timeless and here forever the images that it capture has a life of its own.Well done

cheers
thanks!...

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Nice shots, have you compared them to anything Ansel Adams took?
Gary
Sorry Gary, in general I try not to compare my snapshots to the work of renown photographers .

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
great shots, and theB&W really adds
thanks!

So the B&W conversion was pleasing to you three? Good, I like it too, but I tend to question my own taste when it comes to post. Any advice for when I go back and do it again? (My own advice to myself, "leave the beaten path" - that place is swarming with canonikonites!)
05-30-2008, 08:02 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Josh,

Great stuff!

On your next trip, try to get up higher than ground level because your subject is so massive.

I envy you that you get to go Yosemite, I have to be stuck here in flat Florida.

Ray Smith
05-30-2008, 06:18 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Very fine art!

05-31-2008, 11:11 AM   #8
Veteran Member

This is most excellent. If any picture is deserving of a large print, it would definitely be your photo of Half Dome.

I'm just excited. I get to go in 2 weeks!!!
05-31-2008, 02:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sawtooth235 Quote
Josh,

Great stuff!

On your next trip, try to get up higher than ground level because your subject is so massive.

I envy you that you get to go Yosemite, I have to be stuck here in flat Florida.

Ray Smith
Yeah, I'd like to get some more unusual angles, but with a four month old it's sometimes hard to get out of the flats.

QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Very fine art!
Thank you.

QuoteOriginally posted by Matthew Roberts Quote
This is most excellent. If any picture is deserving of a large print, it would definitely be your photo of Half Dome.

I'm just excited. I get to go in 2 weeks!!!
Thanks... Since you're goin' there, here's a link to a map zoomed in on the bridge from which that shot was taken. To be even more specific, I was just to the right (south) of the big cluster of Canikon gear jostling for a just the right shot (you'll see). Those folks might no give you the time of day, but I can say I shot that at 6:55 pm local time. So around 7pm or a bit later should get you about the same light conditions. Have fun up there, you'll enjoy it.
05-31-2008, 02:45 PM   #10
Forum Member

Great shots.
I really like your B&W conversion.
The reflection in the first picture really make me think of the moon. And the B&W makes the mountain stand out.
06-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Having not seen the original color it is hard to comment. I would like to see much more gray tones especially in the first image. If you are not familiar with Ansel Adams "zone system" it is a very worth while study. You made me recall how much I loved shooting and processing B&W film back in the 70s. Lightroom looks like a worth while investment.
06-21-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
Forum Member

I've been reading about infrared photography recently and am thinking of doing some "playing" with it. Those shots, while really very nice in monochrome, have got me thinking "what would this look like in IR?" But that just my mushroom-addled mind. Still, if you get to go to Yosemite frequently, maybe it would be worth a shot? (Or many shots?)
06-21-2008, 09:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by artifax1 Quote
Having not seen the original color it is hard to comment. I would like to see much more gray tones especially in the first image. If you are not familiar with Ansel Adams "zone system" it is a very worth while study. You made me recall how much I loved shooting and processing B&W film back in the 70s. Lightroom looks like a worth while investment.
Thanks for the comment. I'd definitely benefit from some (any) study of photography, and I've been meaning to read about the zone system for some time. I find that I often prefer B&W to color, and Lr is indeed a powerful program, I seldom leave it for photoshop.

The halfdome shot was taken in Av mode, with no +/- so Halfdome is overexposed and the trees are underexposed. Since I posted that first version, I've reprocessed the shot a little and printed it, and it's a little more natural looking now. In B&W conversion in lightroom I adjusted the exposure down 1.8 in the current version, but I think the one I originally posted here is a touch darker still.

Here's the current version of the shot, and a link to the original...

Of course it would also help if I'd invest in some sort of monitor calibration . Maybe this stuff looks bizarre to you all out there in calibrated land.
06-21-2008, 09:45 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeroyPK Quote
I've been reading about infrared photography recently and am thinking of doing some "playing" with it. Those shots, while really very nice in monochrome, have got me thinking "what would this look like in IR?" But that just my mushroom-addled mind. Still, if you get to go to Yosemite frequently, maybe it would be worth a shot? (Or many shots?)
I know very little about IR, but I'm game. Send me either a film body (k-1000's fine) or a IR converted digital body, and I'll head up there next chance I get.

Seriously, I've always loved the look of IR photography, but haven't played with it yet... someday.
06-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Just my opinions remember.
I think the second shot is far better and probably because it was originally shot better. I like it a lot.

The first looks odd to my eye. Half dome appears almost like an inverse image against the dark trees. The conversions are fine just not the image (only my opinion). The second version you posted is even less appealing. Just too stark against the trees. I'd rather see a more subtle half dome and more shades of gray. If you can go there again sometime, shoot earlier in the day when the light is softer. Then see what you get.